[Costumes] Fake Swords

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

[Costumes] Fake Swords

Post by MooCow »

So does anyone know where I can get good quality fake swords? More specifically, just the hilt or something?

The number one thing my swordsman outfit is missing is a sword. I have a rapier for RenFest, but any other time I can't wear that. Most bars, conventions, etc won't let you carry a real sword.

That's fine, I don't need the sword, but I need the appaearance of a sword. Anyone have an idea?
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Ikarus7
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Ikarus7 »

I might suggest a latex reproduction of a sword, it look pretty real and you can hit people without hurting them! (I personnaly have a latex club and 2 latex meat cleaver...)

If your good enough at building thing, you can make your own sword easily.

Here the website of a compagny that produce latex sword.

http://www.gvlatex.com/eng/
<hr>The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

What kind of dosh are you willing to shell out? My suggestion would be to find a cheap sword, drill through it and the scabbard, and bolt the sword into the scabbard with a color-matched bolt. Granted, that's going to be thick dosh, but we know the kind you're willing to shell out Moo.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Thanks Ik, that's some good advice.

Caz has a good idea as well. His is probably the cheapest. I wonder how difficult it would be to seperate the hilt from the blade? Hmmm.....
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

I wonder how difficult it would be to seperate the hilt from the blade? Hmmm.....
Depends on what kind of sword and style. If it was a Katana (for instance), I could show you how to have it out in 5 minutes.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

One word: "hacksaw."
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

One word: "hacksaw."
Oh sure.... come up with the logical answer! :p
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

and for those following this for their own needs, here is another place that does latex weapons I found. The rapier is /perfect/ for my needs. http://www.latex-weaponry.com/
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Actually, look up your local SCA and see if the rapier people there know who sells just hilts. I know when I was in VA there were a few people who had ornamental hilts and scabbards with no blades.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Ikarus7
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Ikarus7 »

I wonder how difficult it would be to seperate the hilt from the blade? Hmmm.....
With a sledgehammer you can do it in 30 second, most sword replica are really cheap made.

But if you prefre a subtle approach, some sword replica hilt are held in place by a carefully hidden screw. So with some patience and a screwdriver...
Nightsky
Squire of the Crimson Assfro
Location: metaplane of booze, illect substances, and nekkid women

Post by Nightsky »

Well yeah the cheap and easy way is to pick up a cheap replica sword. I believe they still make display katanas pretty cheap (i've seen them for as little as $20) and it's fairly easy to pop the pins out of the hilt with the way I've seen the replicas made. Of course, it's always more fun to use a hacksaw!

Personally, I like that website that IK put up. Their latex knockoffs look pretty good. If I messed around with larps that's probably what I would use. Anyone know how much a pound is to a US dollar now?
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

You can always just rip it off, too. ;)
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

Real fencing-style hilts are failrly simple to purchase alone, since breaking a sword off is, while not common, not unexpected. People who fence for years will often have a collection of grips, guards and blades, all of which can be assembled in almost any combination (the determining point being the length of the tang allowed inside the grip). I've personally got two broken sword blades from my own time fencing. One was just old, the second was because I lunge a lot more deeply than the instructor expected. Anyways... Generally, you can unscrew the counterweight at the base of the hilt to release the tang from such a weapon. Most replicas, however, use pins through the blade, because they want the sucker to snap off. Bastards. Shear off the head of the pin and it should come out. Or just buy a hilt. But that's too easy, really. ;)
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Ikarus7
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Ikarus7 »

Personally, I like that website that IK put up. Their latex knockoffs look pretty good. If I messed around with larps that's probably what I would use.
Their latex longsword cost around 120 canadians dollar, but I only refered to that site because it was the only one I coud think of yesterday.

I asked around some friend of mine and if you want a real good quality foam sword try these:
Look in weapon - injected Foam.

That the best looking foam sword you can get right now.