Movie Reccomendation

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Ancient History
Demon

Movie Reccomendation

Post by Ancient History »

I open this up to everyone that wants to suggest movies, but that's just ane xcuse to plud the one I saw t'night at the Independant/Foreign/Documentary Film thing they do onthe fourth floor every Tuesday at 2100.

ANyways, the movie was Henry Fool, which is, as the back of the box describes, a dark comedy. I hate to ruin a movie, but a favorite and memorable line:
I just made love to your mother a half an hour ago and I'm beginning to think it might have been a bad idea. I think Faye might be jealous.[/black]

And, of course:
Please, I'll suck your cock if you kill him!

These aren't nearly as meaningful and entertainiong taken as they are out of context, but it's a good flick.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Well, I won't go listing the popular, obvious ones, because I will undoubtedly make a list 4 pages long. However, I definately suggest the under-acclaimed film Whale Rider that came out this past year (most likely still on the New Release shelves of your local video-rental store.) Keisha Castle-Hughes was nominated for an Oscar for it, making herself the youngest female ever to be a Lead Actress Academy Award nominee. Excellent flick.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Go see it. Now.
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

And Dawn of the Christ. I absolutely, wildly recommend Dawn of the Christ. Err, I mean, The Passion of the Dead.

(Seriously, go see Dawn of the Dead. It's /great/.)
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

<i>Robot Stories</i> is currently making the circuit of small theatres in the US. I have not seen it myself but everyone I know and trust swears it is a fantastic movie.

<i>Sonatine</i> remains one of the best Yakuza movies ever made. Written, directed, and starring Takeshi Kitano, it is his best movie ever (in my opinion and not having seen Zatoichi yet).

<i>Battle Royale</i>: Every year one 9th grade class is selected to fullfill the Battle Royale Act. Waking up on an island with explosive collars around their necks, each is told the rules of the game (by a wonderfully cold Kitano)... they will each get a bag containing a weapon. In three days, all the collars will explode. The only way to survive is be the only child alive on the island.

<i>Audition</i>: This is really two movies. The first 60 minutes is done in the typical Japanese love story today. A little slow paced but there are a few moments when things don't seem right. Then comes the last 20-25 minutes. I doubt you will blink much watching that part. :D
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Daki wrote:<i>Audition</i>: This is really two movies. The first 60 minutes is done in the typical Japanese love story today. A little slow paced but there are a few moments when things don't seem right. Then comes the last 20-25 minutes. I doubt you will blink much watching that part. :D
I tried blinking, until I found long needles portruding from my eyeballs.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

DV8 wrote:
Daki wrote:<i>Audition</i>: This is really two movies. The first 60 minutes is done in the typical Japanese love story today. A little slow paced but there are a few moments when things don't seem right. Then comes the last 20-25 minutes. I doubt you will blink much watching that part. :D
I tried blinking, until I found long needles portruding from my eyeballs.
Did you hear her soft voice going "kitty kitty kitty" too?
laughing Monkey
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by laughing Monkey »

Did you hear her soft voice going "kitty kitty kitty" too?
*shudder* I tried really hard to forget that! *rolls up in a ball*

Movies to see:

Boondock Saints
Dawn of the Dead, 2004
Bubba Ho- Tep
Donnie Darko
Ganster # 1
Lock, stock and two smoking Barrels
Last Night (written by Don McKellar)
Elling
_ The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?</hr>
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

Frailty
Amélie (French w/ subtitles)
The Eye (Mandarin(?) w/ subtitles) -- It was ... interesting.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Spiral wrote:Frailty
Amélie (French w/ subtitles)
The Eye (Mandarin(?) w/ subtitles) -- It was ... interesting.
You saw the EYE! I wanted to see that last year at the Film Fest!
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

The Eye was pretty good, but I think it was in Cantonese. The movie mentioned they spoke Mandarin, but the DVD features said the language was Cantonese. (Not that the translators couldn't have fucked up either time).

Echo Daki's plug for Battle Royale. Then if you want a bigger head trip, read the book--a translation hit the stands last year sometime.

I recommend Samurai Fiction. A good story, incredible photography, and highly entertaining.
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

lordhellion wrote:Echo Daki's plug for Battle Royale. Then if you want a bigger head trip, read the book--a translation hit the stands last year sometime.
It's still coming out actually. The orignal manga is coming out in parts and I think they are up to 6 right now. For as f'd up as the movie is, the manga is SSOOOOOO much more. The character Kitano plays in the movie is a damn saint compared to the book version.
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Can't be still coming out. I bought and read it last summer.
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

Cazmonster wrote:You saw the EYE! I wanted to see that last year at the Film Fest!
Yeah. New release at Roger's Video. Should be out now. You might want to familiarize yourself a bit with chinese ghosts, though.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

lordhellion wrote:Can't be still coming out. I bought and read it last summer.
It's still coming out. The manga is still be released. The final volume should be out this summer.
Ikarus7
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Ikarus7 »

Battle Royale is a very good movie, but DO NOT watch battle Royale 2, it is the worst piece of crap i've ever seen.

As for other movies, I recommend :

-Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulin (Amélie, for short)
-Delicatessen (From the same director as Amélie, but I don't know if it ever got dubbed or subtitled in english)
-The virgins suicides
-Ichi the killer
-Bubba Ho-Tep
-Goodbye Lenin
<hr>The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Recommendations:

- Boondock Saints
- The Sting
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Jeffery
- Strangers in Good Company
- Kenneth Brannagh's Othello, Henry V, Much Ado about Nothing
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Record of the Lodoss War (all of it)
- UHF
- Transformers the Movie
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Two films I really can see over and over again: Yin shi nan nu (eat, drink, man, woman), one of Ang Lee's earlier films. Shall We Dansu? A japanese film I really like to.
Ikarus7 wrote:Goodbye Lenin
That was a really funny and good movie.