[Windows XP] Can't delete files

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

[Windows XP] Can't delete files

Post by Van Der Litreb »

As the title suggests, I'm running Windows XP and experiencing some rather annoying problems with deleting files. Every now and then, a movie file simply refuses to be deleted (and it's not being shared/used/etc.). I've heard this is a common problem with WinXP (something about the thumbnails it makes of the movie files), and I've gotten around it by using Directory Opus. However, I'd still prefer to have a functioning OS.

Anyone here know if there's a fix?
\m/
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Pro/Home? Are you up-to-date on your Windows Update patches?
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

The fix is to not try and delete the file when there you're looking at the thumbnail of the movie, so do it before the movie opens in thumbnail view. One of the things you can do is to immediately right-click on the file in question, because as soon as the context menu is open, it won't load the movie into the media player.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Oh, and I'm also fairly sure you can switch that view off, though I don't for the life of me know how.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

This any use?
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Oh, you can switch it off, but it doesn't help. I think this is the most annoying bug in the post-95 Windows editions. Either you can be real quick [and, sometimes, lucky] on the right-click, or you can just delete more than one file at once, in which case, it will [almost] always work. The other thing is to make sure none of your file-sharing apps are using it for anything, but I assume you know that.
Ikarus7
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Ikarus7 »

It happened to me with a movie some month ago, XP just wouldn't delete it, even after a complete reboot.

The only way I found to delete the files was to acces the command line only mode (accessible before XP boot sequence) and use the deltree command...

You can also try to put your hard drive into someone else computer but it didn't work for me.
<hr>The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

3278 wrote:Either you can be real quick [and, sometimes, lucky] on the right-click, or you can just delete more than one file at once, in which case, it will [almost] always work.
Yeah, that usually works. However, there was one file that simply refused to be removed, and since it was taking up some 700+ MB it started to annoy me. Like I said, I got around it by using Directory Opus (which is much better for managing files than Explorer, anyway), but I would imagine most file managing programs will work. I'm mostly using Directory Opus for sentimental purposes. Mmm.. Amiga 500... :)
\m/
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

But the win DOpus is not the old DOpus it is the new crappy DOpus, even thou it is still better then normal explorer. It ain't the good amiga version 4.11 or was it 4.12 before it became all weird and windowy ...