Big Dipper, Orion, and ah yes, Pepsi...

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Big Dipper, Orion, and ah yes, Pepsi...

Post by FlameBlade »

Adversiting in space

WTF?!?!?! NOT IN MY BACKYARD! Or rather, NOT IN MY SPACE!
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Ikarus7
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Ikarus7 »

:mad

If I ever live to see that, I'll start working on cheap anti-satellite missile.
<hr>The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

Isn't Pepsi infamous for periodically threatening to project the Pepsi symbol on the face of the moon?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I think he means to make it more of a constellation of satellites, each one no brighter than a star. Whatever. I'll be on the other side of them.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

I dunno, but I'm a purist when it comes to viewing the space...I want to see constellations as it is, not as an something that gee golly we all know about...
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Nightsky
Squire of the Crimson Assfro
Location: metaplane of booze, illect substances, and nekkid women

Post by Nightsky »

If I ever live to see that, I'll start working on cheap anti-satellite missile.
I'll begin construction on our launch platform.
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

We've definantly got the intelligence nessisary for such an endevor somewhere on this forum.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

First I thought this was about shooting commercials on the internation space station or something but after reading it I can only say; HELL NO! It will be boycott for life for the company that tried to shove their message down my throat by the midnight sky.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Awesome!
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Well, on the pure technology aspect of this, I have to say "Cool! That fricking awesome!". On the application of this technology, I'm kind of leary.
I dunno, but I'm a purist when it comes to viewing the space...I want to see constellations as it is, not as an something that gee golly we all know about...
So..... are you against putting up other satelites, space ships, stations, etc? When you look up in the sky at night alot of the lights you see are satelites, airplanes, cosmic monkeys, etc.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

As Moo mentioned this is cool from a technological point of view. But its applications are well lets just say less then wonderful. Would there be any good applications that would benefit from it?

OK it would be really cool to have the job of controlling it and being able to send messages that way. Could be one hell of a marriage proposal if you used that one.
So..... are you against putting up other satelites, space ships, stations, etc? When you look up in the sky at night alot of the lights you see are satelites, airplanes, cosmic monkeys, etc.
Not really the same thing. Seeing one little light of an object and seeing DRINK PEPSI spelled out across the nightsky.
Alareth
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Alareth »

The Russions are determined to take away the night sky.

This isn't as bad as the plan one russian company has to put giant solar reflectors that would visually appear about 1/4 the size of the moon so that Siberia gets more daylight during the year.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
"Society without religion is like a psychopath without a gun"
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Moto42 wrote:We've definantly got the intelligence nessisary for such an endevor somewhere on this forum.
Individually, I would say quite a large number of people here have the ability to accomplish this. <i>Collectively?[/i] Well, I know a couple ways of blowing up cities, and I'm working on destroying the planet. And Marius and FlameBlade are smarter than <i>I</i> am. I don't think a flying billboard would present too much difficulty.
:evil :D :plode
Nightsky
Squire of the Crimson Assfro
Location: metaplane of booze, illect substances, and nekkid women

Post by Nightsky »

On that not we also have people crazy enough to push the button. :withstupid
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

*jumps up and down* I wanna push the button, I wanna push the button, I wanna push the button!
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Cool. Finally, a technology we can use to make third-world countries actually believe that thier Gods have sent them a message to submit to the mighty American superpower!
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Bishop wrote:*jumps up and down* I wanna push the button, I wanna push the button, I wanna push the button!
*Hands Bishop a squeaky rubber tv remote control dog toy.*
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

*pushes the button frantically, causing everybody around him to wince as it squeaks over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.*
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Serious Paul
Devil

Now I want to be your dog.

Post by Serious Paul »

Cool. Now my dreams of blotting out the sky and allowing the ascension of machines is nearer yet...
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

I honestly don't think it would be a profitable exercise for a company to advertise in such a way. A company doesn't want to come across as ominous and intrusive in its advertisements, and advertising in space will do just that. It would turn many, many people off buying the company's product.
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Yeah, but doing something like this as a publicity stunt would deinately cause a raucus with the general consumer public, as much as we'd all like to pretend it didn't. Besides, the real money is in setting a network of reflectors up that can pivot themselves into a visibile or non-visible setting, making the display changeable, then watching as Pepsi, Frito-Lay, Sony, and friends all write monster checks to get thier product put up on the largest changeable billboard in the world. Advertising space is one of the most marketable comododies around, and changing the visual every day or so would keep people from getting fed up with a singular orbital polluter. Hell, I bet night-sky watches would turn into a cultural past-time, just to see what ad is playing on the orbital billboard that night. Take a cue from drive-in movies, get local radio stations syncronized with the display, and you have an entertaining multi-sensory nightly commercial that everyone is going to be talking about around the water cooler the next day.

Man, I need to get into advertising...
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.