How to build an Igloo

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Ghotty
Bulldrekker

How to build an Igloo

Post by Ghotty »

I'm working on my igloo, yes, an igloo. As in a dome shaped house made of snow blocks. It's about 3' high right now, as I took a break.

How should I bring the walls in to make the dome and archs for the door?
Allahu Akbar
Ikarus7
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Ikarus7 »

The easiest way I know to build an Igloo is to make a big pile of snow (the size you want your igloo) than you dig a hole were you want your door and a tunnel going to the center of the pile of snow.

You lit a candle or two, put them in the middle, wait some hours and you got your igloo.
<hr>The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

You taper in the sides of the blocks so they lean into each other. Don't taper too much or not enough. It will be a trial by fire since the snow itself will let you know how much taper you can have. A side note, a spray bottle of water with a mist type spray comes in handy, you can pack snow at the seams, mist it with the water, and it will freeze where you fairly quick. (guessing you are where it is cold enough to be building an igloo)
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Ghotty
Bulldrekker

Post by Ghotty »

I was using a box to pack snowblocks, then dumping them on the igloo. But the box died. So the iglo is unfinished.
Allahu Akbar
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

Be sure you have air-holes in the top, else you could suffocate.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
Ghotty
Bulldrekker

Post by Ghotty »

The iglo hath melted
Allahu Akbar
Sock_Monkey
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Sock_Monkey »

Ikarus7 wrote:The easiest way I know to build an Igloo is to make a big pile of snow (the size you want your igloo) than you dig a hole were you want your door and a tunnel going to the center of the pile of snow.

You lit a candle or two, put them in the middle, wait some hours and you got your igloo.
That's technically not an igloo, its a quinzhe (sp?) and its a lot more work than it would seem. To build a proper igloo you need snow that has been drifted and has the consistency of cinderblocks which you can saw out of the windswept surface, packed snow won't usually sufice as it doesn't quite have the same insulative qualities. Building the proper entrance to the igloo is essential to provide for proper ventilation and trap heat inside. The candle can keep the inside temp about +5 even when the outside temp is as low as the -40 range.

If I ever have to build one again to survive I think I'll just light myself on fire intead to stay warm. Or make sure there's a gun in my survival kit to shoot myself with.
I feel like I'm Han Solo, LDH is Chewbacca, Kitt is Obi Wan Kenobi and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!