TV Shows that should be Banned

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Nightsky
Squire of the Crimson Assfro
Location: metaplane of booze, illect substances, and nekkid women

TV Shows that should be Banned

Post by Nightsky »

Has anyone noticed how stupid the shows on television has gotten in the past few years? I can think of more than my share of programs that drive me nuts. They're so stupid I can't imagine how they got on the air.

My first beef is with Reality TV Shows. Starting off with the bastard child of them all, Survivor. It's not survivor when they give them food! It's not REAL survivor when you have to be 'voted off' the island! It's not REAL Survivor when you have to face this itty bitty challenges to move on.

REAL Survivor would be wiring the island with remote cameras. No camera crew on site. Then allow each contestent to bring only 1 item. For the sake of making things interesting, we'll say it cannot be a firearm. Otherwise it would be over too quick. And for crying out loud, don't give these people food! Let them find it themselves. And legalize cannibalism on the island. Now that would be REAL Survivor.

My second big hate is the show Fear Factor. Jesus christ, can they make people this stupid?! I saw one show where the guy ate a dead, rotting squid. Here's a fact: You have a high chance to get lethal food poisoning for that. The gag reflex has existed in man for 500,000 years for a reason. It keeps us from eating anything poisonious! Same thing when we drink too much alcohol, we throw up and pass out. That's the body saying "Okay, we're about to die. Empty the stomach of all alcohol and pass this guy out so he can't drink anymore"

And another show I hate. SD Gundam. My god, I can actually feel myself becoming retarded when this show comes on Cartoon Network. I love Cartoon Network, specially Adult Swim. But SD Gundam is just wrong. I mean, it's retarded! Stupidly so! There are no other words to describe it! The big words I would know have already been killed by stupidity from seeing it!

Let's see, another show. Yu-gi-Oh. That's high on my list of hates. I've caught a glimpse of it while flipping through channels. My number one beef? It's based on a card collecting game, which I find stupid to begin with. My biggest beef has to be the fact that none of the voices actually match the characters! It's like a 5 year old speakign with Sylvester Stallon's voice.

I also hate Dragon Ball "Insert Random Alphabet Letters Here" Show. I remember seeing it a few times when Cartoon Network first started showing it. DAMN! 20miinutes of the show is close ups of people gasping! The other 10minutes is stalling for time fighting one super powerful guy so another superpowerful guy can arrive and save the day. A dead rat could think up a better plot!

I also hate Pokemon. Who doesn't.

I also hate any Disney show by default. With the exception of Kim Possible. That's not bad. That show has a naked mole-rat.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

I dislike anything on the WB myself. And yeah, Fear Factor has to go.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Re: TV Shows that should be Banned

Post by FlakJacket »

Nightsky wrote:Same thing when we drink too much alcohol, we throw up and pass out. That's the body saying "Okay, we're about to die. Empty the stomach of all alcohol and pass this guy out so he can't drink anymore"
So that's what it was doing. Fuck you gag reflex, I want my booze back! :D
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Ikarus7
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Ikarus7 »

TV sucks.
Amen
<hr>The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
Thunderchild
Bulldrekker

Post by Thunderchild »

All these Bachelor / bachelorette type shows, like these "can you love this fat ugly pig for $1,000,000"

Dragonball Z - the only show that can make a fight last a week.

Anything that is marketed at your children yet dosent try to teach anything. I fucking hate these shows that are obviously just marketing devices.

Forensic shows - 12 IS ENOUGH!!!!

Police shows that are soap operas where someone gets arrested every now and then.

All these supprise renovation shows, fucking all of them. I dont mind those home decoration/renovation shows, but only if the person is there and going through it with the annoying frontman, the token homosexual and the actual builder who does all the work.

There is some good stuff on TV however.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Thunderchild wrote:Dragonball Z - the only show that can make a fight last a week.
Problem?
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

While we are on the subject of Cartoon Network...why can't they schedule Witch Hunter Robin and Cowboy BeBop together instead of an hour apart. I could care less about all the crap in between but those two shows I like to sit back and watch.
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

My second big hate is the show Fear Factor. Jesus christ, can they make people this stupid?! I saw one show where the guy ate a dead, rotting squid. Here's a fact: You have a high chance to get lethal food poisoning for that. The gag reflex has existed in man for 500,000 years for a reason. It keeps us from eating anything poisonious! Same thing when we drink too much alcohol, we throw up and pass out. That's the body saying "Okay, we're about to die. Empty the stomach of all alcohol and pass this guy out so he can't drink anymore"
Believe it or not, everything they eat is checked before hand and is actually FDA approved. Local morning radio show interviewed Joe Rogan last week...

Yu-Gi-Oh...When Yugi has the deeper male voice, it's supposed to represent when Yammi (The Pharoh in his necklace) takes over (mainly for card dueling.) Dear God, shoot me now. Love, Erik.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

Okay, as I'm sure those of you who know me even in passing know that I hate tv. I flat out refuse to watch it on a general basis (yes, once in awhile I slip and watch something. Usually on Discovery or Animal Planet).

However, I'm going to be a pissant and note I'd rather not see anything banned.

Why?

Because I hate censorship even more than I hate tv. We start banning one thing, and more and more things would get banned. If you don't like what's on tv go read a book, play a computer game. Something, anything (that won't get anyone hurt), that doesn't involve the tv.

And you know what? If enough people who didn't like stuff like that did that, and also wrote to said companies saying "Hey, I'm not watching your channel anymore because I don't like what you show", they'd consider changing their programming. Since after all, those channels rely on their viewers.
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

Don't think of it as censorship... think of it as justice. Besides, if you shoot all the writers, producers and directors systematically, it's not censorship, it's ... strategic erasure.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

All soap operas must die. Painfully.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Reika has some thing of a point, actually. Television shows can be thought of as a "shared experience"; back in the 50s, when there wasn't so much to watch, you pretty much knew what everyone was watching, you know? Not only that, but you could all talk about it the next day, and that was your shared experience. How you reacted to the show everyone talked about was how you placed yourself on your individual social map; you might not have agreed with everyone when you thought the phrase "Ward, I think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night" wasn't all that funny, but at least you knew what they were talking about.

Nowadays, the myriad of choices we get (DVDs, VHS tapes, video games, the internet, comic boks, books) destroys the illusion because we might all be watching something different at the same time, or not watching anything at all. This is one of the reasons, actually, why bookworms were so ridiculed in the golden days on television: they weren't in "the loop," they weren't part of that shared experience.

To regain that shared experience, television executives have to either come up with something really good, absolutely creative, or something awful and scandalous. Hence, bad television and the reproduction of the shared experience as a negative thing. When it comes down to it, nobody likes Survivor or Fear Factor - maybe if there's a friend or relative competing, but that's it - but it's something to talk about. Strangely enough, the shared experience of television didn't kick in for me until ten years after the fact, like when I and a couple of college buddies got together and yakked about the A-Team, McGuyver, SNL (when it was good), or the 80's obsession with vehicle shows, but that could just be nostaligia. So you can only imagine the junk today's kids are gonna be reminiscing about ten years down the line.

And Lindsay, soap operas are dying painfully - the fact that they're still around is painful enough, I think.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Am I the only one who's not surprised that the vast majority of the shows Nightsky mentioned are arguably children's shows?
Cain
Knight of the Imperium

Post by Cain »

Oh, and about Yu-Gi-Oh... believe it or not, but the manga and (I believe) anime predate the card game. It was originally a very dark manga about a boy who was possessed by a 5000-year old spirit. It became wildly popular in Japan when the card game plotline was introduced, so someone decided to replicate the card game and sell it. The rest is history.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I censor TV the old fashion way: I turn it off.

[glow]TV SUCKS[/glow]
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

MissTeja wrote:All soap operas must die. Painfully.
I think that Moo would probably argue that one, what with his addiction to the OC. :)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

I think any wrestling fan would object to that too. After all, wrestling is nothing more than soap operas in a form that men can understand. :D
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Adam

Post by Adam »

Both Survivor and The Apprentice rocked tonight, as they usually do.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Gunny wrote:I think any wrestling fan would object to that too. After all, wrestling is nothing more than soap operas in a form that men can understand. :D
Well, if there were more psuedo-lesbian catfights between scantilly-clad women with implants slathered in too much oil in a steel cage on Days of Our Lives, men would easily get into soap operas.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Am I the only person who see's reality TV aimed at women? Shows liek the apprentice, Survivor, Fear factor, they all seem geared towards women to me. My wife, and her sistsrers, love those shows. I can't for the life of me understand the desire to watch greed, avarice, pride, and bold faced diregard for dignity on TV. It just baffles me. I just turn it off.

I'd rather, for me personally, watch the History channel. (Which I am sure the people watching those other shows don't always get too.)
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

I think that Moo would probably argue that one, what with his addiction to the OC.
It's not a soap opera, it's... uhhh.... a Drama! Yeah. That's it. *MooCow sits in the corner and quietly hums words of denial to himself*
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

. I can't for the life of me understand the desire to watch greed, avarice, pride, and bold faced diregard for dignity on TV
Oh I can /understand/ why you would, I just don't think you should. It like how I think I can understand why it would feel really good to stab my next door neighbor 57 times, but I also think I shouldn't do it.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Matt McS
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Matt McS »

Gunny wrote:I think any wrestling fan would object to that too. After all, wrestling is nothing more than soap operas in a form that men can understand. :D
And fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you too, female! ;)

Wrestling has some occasional good writing, and some skanky chicks who don't even look that good in Playboy. But a majority of fans watch it because they like watching people get "Beat Up" for free. It also helps that they (Or a majority of fans above the age of 12) at least know that it is scripted, as opposed to Professional Boxing, which will always have the spectre of corruption around it.
"If masturbating was supposed to be cute, pink bunnies would do it in meadows and they'd ejaculate rainbows and flower petals." - Aubrey
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

Hey, I used to love wrestling until they took the writing away from Heyman and the Rock went heel and started singing in the ring (granted he's now in movies). Things just really seemed to go into the shitter once the King returned to ringside announcing. So :p !
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
BaronJ

Post by BaronJ »

I'm with paul on this one. If it sucks, I should have the prudency of mind to shut the damn thing off.

I frequently don't, so then I watch The Simpsons (and most of Fox Sunday) for the mindless entertainment. Most of the anime I like is too weird or dark to be shown on Cartoon Network (Where the hell did REAL Gundam go, anyway?), or just not popular enough (yet).

For the most part, however, I watch PBS because I hate commercials. I remember back in the day when Cable didn't have commercials, because you paid for it, but those days are long gone.

Oh, and the Daily Show. Never a more unbiased news show, Anywhere!
BaronJ

Doctor Steel for World Emperor
http://doctorsteel.com
Adam

Post by Adam »

Serious Paul wrote:Am I the only person who see's reality TV aimed at women? Shows liek the apprentice, Survivor, Fear factor, they all seem geared towards women to me. My wife, and her sistsrers, love those shows. I can't for the life of me understand the desire to watch greed, avarice, pride, and bold faced diregard for dignity on TV. It just baffles me. I just turn it off.
Just think of them as LARPs with really big stakes.
CykoSpin
Wuffle Master

Post by CykoSpin »

I would love nothing more than to have every television show in existence cancelled, if only it would resurrect the bestest show ever: Firefly :cry

...at least I still have my Firefly DVDs to keep me sane.
_SURPRISE! I don't like you!
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

They're still planning on making the film, Cyko. No word yet, however, on when they will begin filming.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Matt McS wrote:Wrestling has some occasional good writing, and some skanky chicks who don't even look that good in Playboy. But a majority of fans watch it because they like watching people get "Beat Up" for free. It also helps that they (Or a majority of fans above the age of 12) at least know that it is scripted, as opposed to Professional Boxing, which will always have the spectre of corruption around it.
Cuing Wrestling FanBoy Rant #137:

Personally, I don't know anyone who watches wrestling because "They like watching people get beat up." Now I'll admit, I make a habit of socializing with people that I feel have higher than a gas station intelligence level, but all the wrestling fans I know watch because it is pure entertainment. They watch because there's a chance that an actual human is going to do something absolutely mindboggling and physics-defying without a green screen and a wire harness in front of a live audience of 20,000. They watch to see characters that have been built and meshed together in many cases for decades. They watch to show respect for people who are willing to risk personal injury and death to make some poor blue-collar Joe Blow take his mind off his personal problems for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
DrunkenMaster
Bulldrekker

Post by DrunkenMaster »

While I think the majority of Television is crap, there are quite a few gems out there. I mean 10 years ago, there was nothing to compare with what we have had, as far as adult drama goes.That is mostly because of HBO taking some chances. How can Friends or Home Improvement compare with OZ, Sex and the City, the Sopranos or 6 feet Under? While you may not get HBO, those shows are on DVD. If you enjoy good stories and good drama, they are worth a look. The worst season of Sopranos is better than just about anything else on Television.

I watch very little cable T.V., but some of the reality series are quite good. O.C. Choppers and Monster Garage are at the front of the list, but you can probably find at least one of those types of shows to float your boat. Queer Eye is normally hysterical, especially when drunk, though depending on your gender and social group, you might have to hide watching it. :cute

The absolute best show on Television right now is probably The Shield. If you haven't seen it, is is an awesome cop drama. It is in the style of some of the best dramas off of HBO, many different characters, intricate storylines, adult dialogue. I'd recommend newcomers to watch rent the first and second seasons and space them out over a week. It might not be your particular cup of tea, but I think you'll be hard pressed to find fault with CCH Pounder, Michael Chiklis, or Michael Jace.

The majority of TV is and always shall be crap, but as long as I have access to FX, the History(War)Channel, and TLC I'm golden.
Matt McS
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Matt McS »

lordhellion wrote:
Matt McS wrote:Wrestling has some occasional good writing, and some skanky chicks who don't even look that good in Playboy. But a majority of fans watch it because they like watching people get "Beat Up" for free. It also helps that they (Or a majority of fans above the age of 12) at least know that it is scripted, as opposed to Professional Boxing, which will always have the spectre of corruption around it.
Cuing Wrestling FanBoy Rant #137:

Personally, I don't know anyone who watches wrestling because "They like watching people get beat up." Now I'll admit, I make a habit of socializing with people that I feel have higher than a gas station intelligence level, but all the wrestling fans I know watch because it is pure entertainment. They watch because there's a chance that an actual human is going to do something absolutely mindboggling and physics-defying without a green screen and a wire harness in front of a live audience of 20,000. They watch to see characters that have been built and meshed together in many cases for decades. They watch to show respect for people who are willing to risk personal injury and death to make some poor blue-collar Joe Blow take his mind off his personal problems for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
Which is why I paid my fifty bucks to watch Wrestlemania. For entertainment.

In case you are thinking I'm attacking intelligent people who enjoy a form of entertainment, you are wrong. And for each intelligent person you name who watches out of "respect" of the sport, I could possibly show you a person who does watches Professional Wrestling for the reason I stated.
"If masturbating was supposed to be cute, pink bunnies would do it in meadows and they'd ejaculate rainbows and flower petals." - Aubrey
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

BaronJ wrote:I frequently don't, so then I watch The Simpsons (and most of Fox Sunday) for the mindless entertainment.
Treason! Report to friend computer for immediate termination! Only the Smpsons would have the sadistic genius to display a baseball made from Secretariat in the sports hall of fame!!
Oh, and the Daily Show. Never a more unbiased news show, Anywhere!
Ok, we'll make it a quick death, then.
sinsual

Post by sinsual »

Personally, I don't know anyone who watches wrestling because "They like watching people get beat up.
I can introduce you to business owners that are very intelligent that admit straight out they love "wrastlin" for the pure violence. To see someone just get the living crap beat out of them then get back up and turn the tide. Now mind you, that was in the South...we are talking the land of if you need a gun, break the window of a pick up truck, 90% chance there is one there.
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

Well, that's like Detroit, too. And they don't call it "wrastlin' " there. Can't really type out that accent. ;)
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.