Drivin' in a winter wonderland

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Drivin' in a winter wonderland

Post by Spiral »

Hey folks. Seeing as I just drove 2 coworkers home through a blizzard after we shut down the store 2 hours early, I was just curious what the weather was like where you people are.

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
09:00 PM EST Friday 30 January 2004
Friday

Temp: -22.0°C (-7.6°F)
Light Snow Wind: SE at 64 km/h
Wind Gusts: 76 km/h
Windchill: -49.5 °C (-57.1°F)
Dew Point: -25.8 °C Humidex: N/A°C
Relative Humidity: 71.0%
Visibility: 0.4 km
Barometric Pressure: 101.19 kPa

That 400m visibility thing is horseshit. Try 5 - 50 meters (16 - 160 feet, roughly), at random, spiteful intervals.

And should I mention that the window in my room might as well be a screen? I left a 1/2-empty bottle of Diet Coke on the window for giggles, and when I opened it a few hours later the fucker froze solid. I'd try putting plastic over it, but it's so damned cold it won't take. :(
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

Use a comforter. If you can get one of those cheap velour feeling ones that works real well. If you can get tacked inside the window from but not touching the glass it will make a thermal barrier with the airgap to the glass.
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Wellcome to Florida. While "chilly" in the evenings, night and early mornings (say, before the sun rises) going down to a wet but annoying 40 degrees (enough to put a bit of frost on your car window...sometimes); during the daytime the average winter temperature is in the mid to high 70s, with almost no breeze and startlingly bright blasts of UV rays masquerading as sunlight.

Please note this is the winter season, so rain is common (good chance it's at least drizzling for an hour or so every day, or it saves up and just comes down intensely for two days a week). Note also that Floridians do not know what cold is, and will be seen shivering, wearing fur coats, and chain-smoking to get warm as soon as the average temperature (adjusted for "wind chill") drops below 70 degrees. This does not always preclude people from wearing skimpy shirts, shorts or skirts, which can be a nipplage bonus.
Nigga JP
Bulldrekker

Post by Nigga JP »

It's around 61° F outside at the moment. It is usually mid to upper 70s in the day and can be in the 50s at night. 50° feels really cold to me now, which is fucking retarded. If I was still in MI 50s would feel very warm.
Bitches aint shit but hoes and tricks - lick on these balls and suck the dick
Ikarus7
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Ikarus7 »

Trois-Riviere, Québec, Canada
10:13 AM Saturday 31 January 2004

Temp: -14°C
Light Snow Wind: So at 15 km/h
Wind Gusts: none
Windchill: -22°C
Dew Point: -20 °C
Relative Humidity: 60%
Barometric Pressure: 100.58 kPa

It actualy is a sunny hot day for the season.
<hr>The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

There's been pretty impressive storming all up and down the eastern coast of Australia. We were hammered with massive storms every night last week, and more expected tomorrow. (Nice of them to take a break for the weekend, though.)
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Yeah, the storms have been impressive. Entire suburbs of Melbourne were underwater a few days ago.

It's about 20°C (68°F) here today, and has been about the same for the past week, due to the thick clouds. Normally at this time of year it's about 40°C (104°F).
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

Just finished digging out from friday's blizzard. It was all that powdery, pain-in-the ass snow that packs itself super-dense. God, I wish I had a snow-blower. I actually got stuck trying to pull out of my driveway on Saturday morning to go for work (which is why I'm only finishing shovelling now).
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

mrmooky wrote:Normally at this time of year it's about 40°C (104°F).
Forty? Forty? Bloody hell, I'd probably start melting if it hit forty degrees. :)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

FlakJacket wrote:
mrmooky wrote:Normally at this time of year it's about 40°C (104°F).
Forty? Forty? Bloody hell, I'd probably start melting if it hit forty degrees. :)
Yeah, it can be brutal. It was in the high thirties/low forties here a couple years ago in the summer, with sadistically high humidity. When it's that hot, about all you can manage in a non-A.C. environment is to stick to things. (In case you hadn't noticed, Canadians take a certain masochistic pride in the severity of their weather)
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Hence your avatar, Spiral, right?
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Really? I thought he'd just had a bit of an accident and taken a header into the sowing kit.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

Naw. Fortunate coincidence, that. The falling-face-first-into-sewing-kit thing, I mean. The pastiness is natural to the Canadian consitution. The best part about my accident is that in the winter, I becoming a walking piece of modern art as my breath crystallizes into scuplture. I call them "pinworks".

I actually really like this Pinhead pic. He seems quiet, almost pensive. Either he's contemplating the torture of small mammals, or listening to a lecture by the Marquis de Sade.
Twisted Sister
Wuffle Student

Post by Twisted Sister »

FlakJacket wrote:Really? I thought he'd just had a bit of an accident and taken a header into the sewing kit.
Flak, do you think you could put a not work safe warning on the one-liners you throw in? I am gonna get a right bollocking if I don't stop laughing out loud at my screen. :lol
"Like hello, just because I am not using my arms, doesn't mean I am not working." - Jayson