Your political compass

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

Marius wrote:
Buzzed wrote:Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 2.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.72
Heh heh. You're a frickin' communist.
I think they are a bit off with the dot that they place for Liberal Democrats. They got that dot confused with Conservative Democrats. The site obviously just doesn't want to admit that a large chunk of democrats are conservative.
Liberal and Conservative Democrats are European terms, I believe. They are not referring to groups within the US Party called the Democrats.
More specifically, they're speaking of the British party named the Liberal Democrats, who are, rather to my liking, reasonably conservative. Not quite conservative enough, but then, who is?
Maybe the Amish.
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Depends what you mean by conservative, I guess. The Flat Earth Society is making a pretty good go of it.
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

Let's see if I can make this work...
And a close up of the cluttered region (which I started just prior to realizing I could move names... they were on top of each other originally - first pic has been edited)
Maybe I'll add in the Libertarian/Authoritarian labels and stuff later. If people want them and stuff.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Marius

Post by Marius »

By the way, I took the quiz again, and came in at 6.38, -2.3.

Then I took it one last time, and instead of answering the ambiguous wording of the questions, I answered to the issue the question was addressing. Came in at 8.75, -2.3. I figure my actual score is probably between the two, closer to the second.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

I retook the test, as well.

Original Score
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.10

New Score
Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Marius wrote:By the way, I took the quiz again, and came in at 6.38, -2.3.

Then I took it one last time, and instead of answering the ambiguous wording of the questions, I answered to the issue the question was addressing. Came in at 8.75, -2.3. I figure my actual score is probably between the two, closer to the second.
That's nice. You already made me resize the image a few times trying to keep you from going off the end while still leaving the rest large enough to be useful. Now you want me to add on an exta 1.75 to the side? Get me more width, this 800x600 just won't cut it... :p
Last edited by Anguirel on Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

Wow, Bonefish (Ghotty) is all by his lonesome.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Cain
Knight of the Imperium

Post by Cain »

Economic Left/Right: -4.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97
Buzzed
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Buzzed »

Here are the results when I plugged Bush's answers in:

Economic Left/Right: 7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.49

I forced myself to always select the Strongly options.

These results show my view of Bush as being roughly the same for Left/Right but my view is a lower value for Social Libertarian/Authoritarian.
_
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

This quiz really needs an "I don't give a shit" option.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Interesting. The graph is showing two kinds of clusters. Guess we know what liberal and conservative is on this board now...
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

You'll note that the board conservatives are a lot closer to the origin than the board liberals. Fuckin' hippies. :cute
Marius

Post by Marius »

Instant Cash wrote:Wow, Bonefish (Ghotty) is all by his lonesome.
Yeah. There are a couple of people on the board in my quadrant. According to the site, however, there are no international figures in my quadrant.

No U.S. candidates are in my quadrant or in Ghotty's. There are international figures in there with Bone. Namely, Hussein, Mugabe, Arafat, Chirac, and the Pope. Way to go Bonefish!
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Marius

Post by Marius »

Salvation122 wrote:You'll note that the board conservatives are a lot closer to the origin than the board liberals. Fuckin' hippies. :cute
And note also that the origin is set for Brits. See how all of the Democratic presidential candidates are right of the origin (except the two really crazy ones)? In America the origin would be farther to the right.
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Salvation122 wrote:You'll note that the board conservatives are a lot closer to the origin than the board liberals. Fuckin' hippies. :cute
The board origin is off. Here, I'll show you where the center is...
:D
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
Marius

Post by Marius »

hey Ang, could you send me the data sheet? I really want to see what a factor rotation gives me.
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Marius wrote: Yeah. There are a couple of people on the board in my quadrant. According to the site, however, there are no international figures in my quadrant.
All I know is that I am chillin with the Dali Lama. :)
-Big Jim
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Instant Cash wrote:
Marius wrote: Yeah. There are a couple of people on the board in my quadrant. According to the site, however, there are no international figures in my quadrant.
All I know is that I am chillin with the Dali Lama. :)
All I know is I'm totally centrist. :D
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Daki wrote:Dear gods there are a lot of liberals here! :D
Yes, we are out to strangle you with our long hair and poke your eyes out with peace signs. :D
-Big Jim
Data Collector
Tasty Human

Post by Data Collector »

Oye. This is Marius.
I want to do some stat analysis on the scores, so I want information.
If you've posted scores, could you also post (or send to me, if you're private) your age, gender, and location?
To avoid adding a lots of hard to find posts, you can use this post by logging in as Data Collector (password: member) and editing to add your information to the bottom of the list. Also feel free to suggest other variables you'd like to see.

Marius: 25, male, Pennsylvania USA
Toryu: 26, male, Hannover, Germany.
Johnny the Bull: 21, male, Brisbane, Australia.
Serious Paul: 29, male, Michigan USA
Uncle Joseph: 29, male, Michigan USA
Reika: 27, female, Woodridge NY USA
Angel: 20, female, Vienna Austria
Anguirel: 24, male, Syracuse NY USA
Szechuan: 20, male, Moncton NB, Canada
Salvation: 19, male, Memphis TN, USA.
Last edited by Data Collector on Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

A'ight. Toryu: 26, male, Hannover, Germany.
"What is it about blogs, forums and LiveJournal that just invite stupid fights, Davan? Is acting like an ass a clause in the user agreement?"
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Serious Paul and Uncle Joseph, both male, both 29 (He has me by about ten months) and Michigan USA.

(Hope I am not out of line doing that Jo, but I believe the information is already out there.)
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

My responses
Economic Left/Right: 4.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.18

Johnny the Bull: 21; Male; Brisbane, Australia

I expected these kind of results. At heart I am an entrepreneur, so a freer market is better as far as I am concerned except to curb any extreme excesses by corporations. If there was a question based on succession of estates, I think I'd be closer to 2.1 on the economic left/right scales due to my views on it.
No money, no honey
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Johnny the Bull wrote:If there was a question based on succession of estates, I think I'd be closer to 2.1 on the economic left/right scales due to my views on it.
Why 2.1?
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

mrmooky wrote:
Johnny the Bull wrote:If there was a question based on succession of estates, I think I'd be closer to 2.1 on the economic left/right scales due to my views on it.
Why 2.1?
I consider succession of estates one of the worst leakages in an economy. I want to plug it by taxing all assests (aside from family dwelling, car and life insurance payments) of an estate to any single person over $500k 100%.
No money, no honey
Reika

Post by Reika »

Retook the test myself.

Responses:

Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.82

Reika: 27; Female; Woodridge, NY, USA
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.69

Angel; 20 years old (almost 21), female, Vienna Austria - Europe.
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

Economic Left/Right: -3.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.72

Raygun: 27, Male, Great Falls, MT USA
It's all about crystal meth and Gwar. - Hauze
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Ray:: Didn't you used to live in Dallas?

Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.23

Cash: 28, Male, San Jose, CA
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

FlameBlade wrote:Interesting. The graph is showing two kinds of clusters. Guess we know what liberal and conservative is on this board now...
*walks in snapping his fingers*

When you're a liberal,
You're a liberal all the way
From your first peace protest
To your last dyin' day.

When you're a liberal,
If the voting split hits the fan,
You got judges around,
You're a protesting man!

You're never alone,
You're never disconnected!
You're home with your own:
When conservatives're expected,
You're well protected!

Then you are set
With a capital L,
Which you'll never forget
Till they cart you away.
When you're a liberal,
You stay a liberal!
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Yes, we are out to strangle you with our long hair and poke your eyes out with peace signs.
Hey now, don't go lumping all the long hairs together you pansy ass peacenik!!
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Cash wrote:Ray:: Didn't you used to live in Dallas?
That's actually not a bad thing to track. Perhaps, if it makes sense for a given individual, Marius could also go for where a person was born and/or raised in addition to current residence. In my case all three locations are the same, but if someone has moved recently or whatever, they're more likely to have views in tune with where they were than where they go (unless that's why they moved). Of possibly more significant interest, whether you were raised in a city, suburb or in the country, along with the size of your school. I'd be suburb, and graduating class size was about 1,000 I think, though elementary (K-4) was split amongst three schools, and middle school (5-8) was split in two.
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Economic Left/Right: -1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.62

I didn't think I was a Leftist or a Libertarian.
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

Anguirel wrote:
That's actually not a bad thing to track. Perhaps, if it makes sense for a given individual, Marius could also go for where a person was born and/or raised in addition to current residence. In my case all three locations are the same, but if someone has moved recently or whatever, they're more likely to have views in tune with where they were than where they go (unless that's why they moved).
Zang makes a valid point there. Location is quite an important factor in the test. There are some very country-specific questions, and a person may answer them differently depending on location, e. g. "Is the tax rate too high?". Kinda makes a difference if you're living in the US, or, say, Sweden.

While the location factor is of relevance, tracking where someone has lived may be a bit tricky to implement.
"What is it about blogs, forums and LiveJournal that just invite stupid fights, Davan? Is acting like an ass a clause in the user agreement?"
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

Yeah. Moved to Montana three years ago. Born in Dallas, raised in Garland, Texas (large, blue-collar suburb of Dallas). The only thing I miss is good Mexican food.
Ancient History wrote:I didn't think I was a Leftist or a Libertarian.
Neither did I. Silly Brits. :)
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Screw you Texas boy. :p

Just 'cause we like our politics with a little more choice than Option One, Option Two, Assorted Whackos. :)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

And you fix it by making me a leftist? Sod off!

Dammit! ;)
JongWK
Bulldrekker

Post by JongWK »

I took it twice, just to be sure.

1st test:
Economic Left/Right: -3.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

2nd test:
Economic Left/Right: -3.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.21

3rd test:
Economic Left/Right: -3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.59

First reaction: Holy shit... :wideeyes

Second reaction: This test is, well, biased. I feel the wordage is ambiguous in several questions. I also agonized over some questions (Agree or Disagree), as their answers merit deeper analysis.

EDIT: JongWK, 23, male, Montevideo (Uruguay).
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
-Thomas Paine
Marius

Post by Marius »

Now how the fuck am I going to classify Uruguay?
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

I'd suggest [Other], myself.
JongWK
Bulldrekker

Post by JongWK »

Marius wrote:Now how the fuck am I going to classify Uruguay?
:lol

European wannabes wishing they weren't stuck between Argentina and Brazil? ;)

Salvation122 wrote:I'd suggest [Other], myself.
Maybe, but Latin/South America could make for a better entry.
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
-Thomas Paine
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

IC: Male, 29, Volo, IL (Chicago) USA
-Big Jim
Silent Sniper

Post by Silent Sniper »

Economic left/right: .88
Social libertarian/authoritarian: -1.49

Silent Sniper: Male, 19, Glens Falls, NY, USA
_
The Duke of Slack
Wielder of the Axe of Mass Destruction
Keeper of the Food Loaf

Quote of the random period of time:
Beware, naughty children, for the bells herald Santa's dark harvest of souls...
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Oh come on now, there has to be /someone/ older than me.
-Big Jim
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Bethy and Cain, if no one else.
laughing Monkey
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by laughing Monkey »

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97
_ The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?</hr>
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Instant; Not older then you (or perhaps I am but we have to compare actuall dates then) but I'm 29.
Reika

Post by Reika »

Instant Cash wrote:Oh come on now, there has to be /someone/ older than me.
Sludig is older, but he doesn't post much on the board, and you're only a year or so older than me iirc.