Yeah, this just isn't working out.

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Yeah, this just isn't working out.

Post by Salvation122 »

Okay, so, programming is cool, but I've reached the conclusion that it's not something I'd like to be doing for the rest of my life. My next choice would be a musician, but that's a wee bit too unstable - so I'm looking at a related field, namely sound engineering and/or recording technology.

My current university does not offer any courses in sound engineering and/or recording technology, let alone a degree. Ergo, I must transfer.

I'm just now starting the research process on this - since I made this decision about seven hours ago, after about two weeks of deliberation - but I figured that you guys might know a university or two with decent programs in this field. I'm not looking for an internet site with a big list of schools with the relevant major; I already have that. I'm looking for recommendations from people who have some experience with the school. Don't worry about geographic location (with the caveat that it must be in the continental US) or price right now; just give me names and info.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

The Peabody Conservatory's got a good major in digital recording. The catch is that you have to be admitted to the school for performance on a classical instrument first.

Oberlin College has excellent facilities, with a whole hell of a lot of creativity around, and some mediocre or better instruction, so it's a good learn if you care enough to make it happen. You can get into that Tech Music major with a pretty weak portfolio.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I can't actually provide you with information regarding good universities for your chosen field, but what I can and will do is wish you the very best. :)
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Toyman
Tasty Human

Post by Toyman »

I know some of the SUNY schools (State University of New York) have good Sound Engineering programs, but I can't remember which ones right now. one of my friends from high school was going into that -- and i think the boy friend of another frined from high school is in a program of that nature right now. If I can get in touch with either, I'll see if I can get some more information on it.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

There are a bunch of sites on line that will help you do 'college searches'. You can probably find several on Google or if you're using AOL or something like that. They are very useful. I've used them many times. They help match colleges with your particular requirements, such as cost, major, size, affiliation, extra ciricular programs, etc. I don't remember which ones I have used in particular- some are better than others, though. But, yeah, those types of programs have been a great help to me in the past. I recomend you give it a try.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>