Death to Smoochy

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
JetPlane
Wuffle Student

Death to Smoochy

Post by JetPlane »

Yes, the name is silly, but the movie isn't all silly songs sung by giant costume-encased actors.

I loved it. Edward Norton was great. The plotline is crooked, and so are all the characters. It's a wonderful, colorful romp through the secrets behind big corporations against the little guys.

If you've seen the movie, I'd love to hear what other people thought of it, and if you haven't, I suggest you go out and see it.
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

Available on video?

More importantly, from Blockbuster?
-call me Andy, dammit
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

It was just released in the theatres on Friday. Unfortunately we didn't have time to see it over the weekend.
Kwyndig
Grand Marshall of the Imperium
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

I loved it, hillarious.
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
Armitage
Tasty Human

Post by Armitage »

I thought it was a good movie, and I really don't know exactly what I was expecting. I apparently thought it would be aimed at a younger audience than it was, probably because of the whole "guy in a rhino costume" thing. It's a much darker movie than I expected. The next day, I told some of my friends to see it: one of them said, "that looks like a fun movie," and the other one said "it looks really disturbing." I think they were both right.

The movie made me realize that I don't hate Robin Williams as absolutely as I thought I did. Even though he spends most of the movie hurling profanities everywhere, he does do a good job when he's actually acting, and I could take him seriously. Same goes for everyone else in the movie, obviously, but it wasn't a surprise then.

I'll probably end up seeing it again fairly soon. Maybe I'll have more to add later when I give it some more thought.
_<font size = "1"><i>You're the icing on the cake on the table at my wake
You're the extra ton of cash on my sinking life raft
You're the loud sound of fun when I'm trying to sleep
You're the flowers on my table when my allergies come out
You're the good things... </font>[/i]
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

Don't know if it still matters, but I just saw The Royal Tenenbaums recently and liked it a lot.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Nightsky
Squire of the Crimson Assfro
Location: metaplane of booze, illect substances, and nekkid women

Post by Nightsky »

I loved it! I saw it this afternoon. Death to Smoochy has some of th emost wonderfully twisted characters i've seen in one movie. Who can forget when Rainbow Randolph made those wonderful penis cookies or the warning not to mess with the Charity organizations when it comes to an ice show?
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

It's been picketed in New York by kids, apparently.

Personally, I'd say it caters to an audience who still harbours that warm fuzzy :crack MUST KILL :crack attitude towards sappy costumed child entertainers. Barney, in other words.
Nightsky

Post by Nightsky »

Smoochy did look a lot like barney :cool
JetPlane
Wuffle Student

Post by JetPlane »

Eva wrote: Don't know if it still matters, but I just saw The Royal Tenenbaums recently and liked it a lot.
Don't worry; it still matters.

That movie was utterly fantastic as well. I liked the fact that Paltrow accepted a "darker" role that, I believe, she did very well in.

I'm a huge fan of dark comedies, and both The Royal Tenenbaums and Death to Smoochy were amazingly great dark comedies.
Nightsky

Post by Nightsky »

Let's hear it for twsited humor! It's the best kind. :cool
voz
Wuffle Initiate

Post by voz »

I have now seen Ed Norton in several movies. He usally plays someone who apears to be innocent but ends up being the most evil guy. Does he do the same in this movie?

The movie is "R". It advertises it as a dark comedy, why would any kids want to see it?
Tim the Enchanter
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Tim the Enchanter »

"I can't help it! this movie has warped my fragile little mind."
_"When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why God? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
--Stephen King