Why do people tolerate violence behavior?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

We've also had some similar cases here in Australia, which is what led me to think of it.

(By the way, Spiral, your avatar pic is intensely disturbing. :wideeyes)
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
PMWrestler
Bulldrekker

Post by PMWrestler »

Jestyr wrote: You'd want to make damn sure your justice system is convicting the right people, then. Overturning a conviction is a lot harder when you have to try and scoop their brains back into their skull.
Of course some people would be wrongly executed. There's just no way around that. But if 2 or 3 innocent people are killed, but the fear of being shot in the head for killing someone prevents 200 murders or rapes....that would be find by me.
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

It's a self-portrait, too. :crack

Which reminds me, is there any quick-and-easy linkable web-hosting I can get to store images? I'd like to be able to flash some of my better stuff on here for critiques and comments.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

PMWrestler wrote:Of course some people would be wrongly executed. There's just no way around that. But if 2 or 3 innocent people are killed, but the fear of being shot in the head for killing someone prevents 200 murders or rapes....that would be find by me.
Even if the wrongly-convicted person on Death Row was you, or a loved one? Would you be fine with it then, thinking 'never mind, this is still scaring off two hundred potential murderers'?
__
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

PMWrestler wrote:Of course some people would be wrongly executed. There's just no way around that. But if 2 or 3 innocent people are killed, but the fear of being shot in the head for killing someone prevents 200 murders or rapes....that would be find by me.
Jestyr's counterpoint is good, but I'm going to expand on it.

You're isolating those innocent people from their environments. Those innocent people have families. They have children. They have children. Co-workers. Each time one of those innocent people dies, society is stained by it. Their blood splatters on everyone they touched before they died. Step back, then step back again, then do it once more. There are no individuals--we're all pieces of a much larger whole.
PMWrestler
Bulldrekker

Post by PMWrestler »

Even if the wrongly-convicted person on Death Row was you, or a loved one? Would you be fine with it then, thinking 'never mind, this is still scaring off two hundred potential murderers'?
When a fireman dies, they reassure thier family by telling them something that seems to be applicable here:

"No greater love hath a man than he who lay down his life for his brother"

So hell, if you had a way to kill me right now, to save 200 people, I'd jump at the chance....I'd pay to do it. And anyone who wouldn't is selfish, and in my opinion, a coward and horrible person.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Okay, but firemen/women - and police, and military personnel - make a choice to be a potential martyr. That's a lot, lot different from being dragged from your life, accused of a horrible crime, and then be killed, with "executed for rape" forever your epitaph (not 'died saving people from a burning building'.)
__
PMWrestler
Bulldrekker

Post by PMWrestler »

Okay, but firemen/women - and police, and military personnel - make a choice to be a potential martyr. That's a lot, lot different from being dragged from your life, accused of a horrible crime, and then be killed, with "executed for rape" forever your epitaph (not 'died saving people from a burning building'.)
True, you're remembered differantly, and your memory is tainted if you're executed from a crime. But still....you can't argue with the fact that 200 people are more important than 1 person.
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

What about the 200 people that innocent person left behind?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Good lord. I don't even know where to start. This is like Evan in the "How to Beat Your Children" thread.

Okay, let's start this...hey. I know where to start this. In a new thread.
Last edited by 3278 on Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
PMWrestler
Bulldrekker

Post by PMWrestler »

What about the 200 people that innocent person left behind?
I'm not sure what you mean by that Do you mean the people that they knew?
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

You must have missed my post above. Yes.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

PMWrestler wrote:
Spiral wrote: What about the 200 people that innocent person left behind?
I'm not sure what you mean by that Do you mean the people that they knew?
He means:
Spiral wrote:You're isolating those innocent people from their environments. Those innocent people have families. They have children. They have children. Co-workers. Each time one of those innocent people dies, society is stained by it. Their blood splatters on everyone they touched before they died. Step back, then step back again, then do it once more. There are no individuals--we're all pieces of a much larger whole.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Damn you and your fast posting, Spiral! :)
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

I had less to type.

I'm also procrastinating, which helps.
PMWrestler
Bulldrekker

Post by PMWrestler »

You're isolating those innocent people from their environments. Those innocent people have families. They have children. They have children. Co-workers. Each time one of those innocent people dies, society is stained by it. Their blood splatters on everyone they touched before they died
I'm not debating the fact that it would be a terrible thing. I'm saying it would be a neccesary evil. Because just like you said, each of these people have loved ones. Now multiply that by two hundred innocent people who all, also have loved ones. Are they less important? Why should one man be equal to 200? or even 2?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

"It is better that ten guilty men escape than one innocent suffer."

You want to undermine the entire concept of our way of life, to punish innocent men without care. Freedom is the core of this country, and if you're going to give that away, you're going to destroy this country, all in the name of safety and vengeance.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
PMWrestler
Bulldrekker

Post by PMWrestler »

You want to undermine the entire concept of our way of life, to punish innocent men without care. Freedom is the core of this country, and if you're going to give that away, you're going to destroy this country, all in the name of safety and vengeance.
I understand that a system like that would undermine all that America stands for...but righ now, society is crumbling anyway. Murder, rape, terrorism. Until we can find a way to attack the social issues that these are derived from, we need a drastic solution.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

PMWrestler wrote:
I understand that a system like that would undermine all that America stands for...but righ now, society is crumbling anyway. Murder, rape, terrorism. Until we can find a way to attack the social issues that these are derived from, we need a drastic solution.
I don't know what you're talking about. How is society "crumbling?"
Lektrogirl
Bulldrekker

Post by Lektrogirl »

PMWrestler
So hell, if you had a way to kill me right now, to save 200 people, I'd jump at the chance....I'd pay to do it. And anyone who wouldn't is selfish, and in my opinion, a coward and horrible person.
I'm selfish, a coward, and a horrible person then because I love my life, I do not want to die yet, I have people who love me, and I love many people, why would I want to end all of that which I am for 200 people? Does my existence any less than all of their's? Who is to say that?

Execution is just as wrong as murder in my opinion, in fact it is murder, condoned by the State. Life sentences are good enough in my opinion, for a couple of reasons. One being that it gives the convicted enough time to appeal their cases before a higher court, and another being that in extreme cases executing a prisoner might create a martyr, who needs that?

Spiral I would really like to read what you have to say on rape, please post it, but in another thread if possible. Thanks.
PMWrestler
Do you think that murder, rape, or terrorism are things new to human civilization? Society is not crumbling away, not at all.

You sound like an Alarmist, there are enough "solutions" already in place, the American way of life does not need something "drastic", it needs many Americans to calm down a bit.

What are the things that you think America stands for?
PMWrestler
Bulldrekker

Post by PMWrestler »

I love my life, I do not want to die yet, I have people who love me, and I love many people, why would I want to end all of that which I am for 200 people? Does my existence any less than all of their's?

I'm not saying that your life is trivial. All I'm saying is that everything that makes you up, people that you love, and people that love you......is the same thing for those other two hundred people. It's the same if it was only two people. And of course your existance means less than thiers. It's simple math. One life does not equal two. One life is less than two.
Do you think that murder, rape, or terrorism are things new to human civilization?
Of course they aren't new. Except now our stance on them has changed. Wasn't it this thread where someone made excuses for murder? Saying that in some cases, it was justified for a civilian to kill another civilian? That is why society is crumbling.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

PMWrestler wrote: Wasn't it this thread where someone made excuses for murder? Saying that in some cases, it was justified for a civilian to kill another civilian? That is why society is crumbling.
Let me get this straight; our society is crumbling because someone in this thread said that sometimes it was justified for a civilian to kill another civilian? I know this isn't what you're saying, but the thing is, you're not saying anything.
PMWrestler
Bulldrekker

Post by PMWrestler »

...our society is crumbling because someone in this thread said that sometimes it was justified for a civilian to kill another civilian? I know this isn't what you're saying, but the thing is, you're not saying anything.
No, not because one person thinks it does. It's that one person who represents a cross section of society who think that it's OK for one civilian to kill another civilian...and you're right, it doesn't make much sense...but it's because I'm not expressing myself correctly....maybe someone who feels the same way I do can put it better.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

PMWrestler wrote:
3278 wrote:...our society is crumbling because someone in this thread said that sometimes it was justified for a civilian to kill another civilian? I know this isn't what you're saying, but the thing is, you're not saying anything.
No, not because one person thinks it does. It's that one person who represents a cross section of society who think that it's OK for one civilian to kill another civilian...and you're right, it doesn't make much sense...but it's because I'm not expressing myself correctly....maybe someone who feels the same way I do can put it better.
I think I understand what you're saying, but it still doesn't make sense to me. Do you think this attitude is more prevalent today than it was previously? In other words, do you think it's getting worse, or do you simply think it's bad?
Glyph
Tasty Human

Why do people tolerate violence behavior?

Post by Glyph »

I'm not a pacifist like Lectrogirl, but I do agree that some violent crimes are punished far too lightly. I don't like "rehabilitation" as it is currently implemented. It is arrogant to think that we can change someone's life for them. The few criminals who do successfully rehabilitate themselves do it because they choose to do so. I think it should be offered to people who want it, but the main purpose of prison should be punishment, not rehabilitation. Do the crime, do hard time.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

The point isn't that people who do the crime don't do the time, but that the people who are doing the time aren't always responsible for what they were convicted of. When "doing the time" consists of getting murdered by the state, then you're damn monkey right I have a monkey problem with that.

The death penalty doesn't stop crime, it kills people.

Actually, studies have shown that the death panalty doesn't stop people comiting violent crimes, and in some cases actually increases the rate. Read here if you want more info.

Saving 200 innocents by killing people? Unlikely, you're probably just letting another 200 die, plus the one that was a martyr for the system.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

By the way, CE is right about the death penalty and its effect on violent crime. I was going to make a point of that if someone started a capital punishment thread and attempted to show it was a deterrant.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

Although, I find it hard to imagine that in an empirical test life without parole would prove /more/ effective.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I wonder. I can see logical arguments for both sides, but this isn't a logical issue. Crime almost never is.

I suppose with the right statistics, you could compile an empirical test ex post facto, but I don't know that I'd be comfortable with the accuracy of the results.
Marius

Post by Marius »

Of course, I find it hard to imagine any empirical test at all. But if we find that death is a lousy deterrent, we really should be able to extrapolate that life imprisonment is at least equally insufficient (and we could quell suspicions of the opposite by claiming that the sort of opportunistic irrationality such a case would invove should, if anything, require only harsher treatment from our morality, as the issue of the utility of the punishment then dissolves). And if two punishments are functionally similar, society's choice, it seems, is to choose whichever presents a lesser cost.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Dot Man wrote:...we really should be able to extrapolate that life imprisonment is at least equally insufficient...
Not really. The difference between getting killed and having to hang around a set of bars for the rest of your days is quite vast indeed. They are not the same thing by a long stretch.

Also, there are other factors to take into acount. When everyone is glorifying death via the detention system, that acceptence will fall down into all levels. People more willing to accept it as a viable alternative. Also, there are people out there who have no problem with death at all, but spending their years bored and behind bars isn't exactally a happy option.

The two are very very different.

Also, the workings of the american death penalty is just bloody barbaric. The entire event is a specticle, which a whole bunch of people watch. In England, the process of the death penalty (when it was still about) took all of 30 seconds from leaving their cell to getting hung. They were also hung so as they would die instantly. In america, it's the whole dead man walking, march march march, any last words, big speach, ineffective death method when it was the chair, everybody watches on.

You think that makes the world a happy place? Howabout you think.
Marius

Post by Marius »

Crazy Elf wrote:The two are very very different.
Righto, but I went there already. I don't think that sort of backward psychology should have any bearing on our moral calculus. Punishment properly done isn't meant as a forward-looking deterrent anyhow, and neither life without parole nor the death penalty is really a post facto (recidivist) deterrent. So if one is an appropriate penalty, then the other may as well be, provided there's no additional (economic, social, or moral) cost.
Also, the workings of the american death penalty is just bloody barbaric. The entire event is a specticle, which a whole bunch of people watch. In England, the process of the death penalty (when it was still about) took all of 30 seconds from leaving their cell to getting hung. They were also hung so as they would die instantly. In america, it's the whole dead man walking, march march march, any last words, big speach, ineffective death method when it was the chair, everybody watches on.
Yeah, you may have gotten the wrong idea from somewhere. Hell, I wouldn't be suprised if most American's had the wrong idea, also. But I would be pretty fucking suprised if the American death penalty was even logarithmically as sensational as some media portrayals have made it.
Glyph
Tasty Human

Post by Glyph »

Marius wrote: Of course, I find it hard to imagine any empirical test at all. But if we find that death is a lousy deterrent, we really should be able to extrapolate that life imprisonment is at least equally insufficient (and we could quell suspicions of the opposite by claiming that the sort of opportunistic irrationality such a case would invove should, if anything, require only harsher treatment from our morality, as the issue of the utility of the punishment then dissolves). And if two punishments are functionally similar, society's choice, it seems, is to choose whichever presents a lesser cost.
I agree with you in principle, but the truly sad thing is, that after appeals and everything else, it is actually cheaper to imprison someone for life than it is to kill them. I wouldn't have as much problem with life in prison if it actually meant life in prison. However, you always hear about these killers getting out on parole, and whenever they are getting ready to finally give someone life in prison, it is after they have been in and out 5 or 6 times, for things that should have kept them in much longer. Look at all of the prior convictions that sick piece of garbage Bar Jonah had.

Prisons are a joke. I could say they are too lenient, with free cable tv, weightrooms, free computers, and frivolous lawsuits over everything. But I could also say they are too harsh, with recruitment by gangs, violence, and rapes. I mean, isn't that pathetic? It is truly the worst of both worlds.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Glyph wrote:I agree with you in principle, but the truly sad thing is, that after appeals and everything else, it is actually cheaper to imprison someone for life than it is to kill them.
I'd be really interested to see some figures on that, if you can provide them. Sounds surprising.
__
Adam

Post by Adam »

I read an article sometime within the last month or two talking about just that; the overall cost of the death penalty was higher than that of life in jail, if you factor in appeals and all that sort of thing, but I can't seem to find the link anymore. I'll keep digging...
Marius

Post by Marius »

Adam wrote: I read an article sometime within the last month or two talking about just that; the overall cost of the death penalty was higher than that of life in jail, if you factor in appeals and all that sort of thing, but I can't seem to find the link anymore. I'll keep digging...
I don't doubt it. I'll bet a good search of activist materials could unearth dozens of studies that come to that conclusion. Now, I haven't critically read such literature, but I'm willing to risk a claim that the methodology is usually heavily biased, and the data rarely directly support the conclusions. Remember, a study that simply compares death sentences to other sentences, even if it computes an annual cost, fails in the end. Because nothing less than comparably strict sentences for compoarable crimes could be expected to prompt the same spate of appeals, and thus broadening inclusion skews data away from the truth, but in a direction that activists would be happy to see it go.

In any case, some cost issues can be allayed by repairing the process. And I have to wonder how many long drawn and expensive appeals were only that because they were financially supported by activist groups. And I have to wonder if transmuting all death sentences to life sentences with no chance of parole would prompt a shorter, less expensive appeals process.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Jestyr wrote:
Glyph wrote:I agree with you in principle, but the truly sad thing is, that after appeals and everything else, it is actually cheaper to imprison someone for life than it is to kill them.
I'd be really interested to see some figures on that, if you can provide them. Sounds surprising.
That is indeed correct. I don't have any figures anymore, but we did study this in class. Keep in mind that you can have a large number of appeals and this inflates the cost to kill someone dramatically. In Texas however, it is cheaper to kill someone than it is to keep them in prison for life. Why? Because all your appeals are put into one shot.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Lektrogirl
Bulldrekker

Post by Lektrogirl »

I don't doubt it. I'll bet a good search of activist materials could unearth dozens of studies that come to that conclusion. Now, I haven't critically read such literature, but I'm willing to risk a claim that the methodology is usually heavily biased, and the data rarely directly support the conclusions.
Why does it not surprise me that you would use the word "activist"? This isn't this first time I have seen you use this sort of statement, calling someone's information sources "activist", yeah everyone in the world is an activist except for the "honest, impartial, unbiased" folks you get your information from, right?

You seem to doubt anything that doesn't go along with your views, at least that's what I've gathered from the your postings recently. Do you ever allow for the fact that you may be wrong? Do you always attack a subject as though the other person's date is falsified, or biased?

Perhaps the sources you base your opinion on are the ones which are heavily biasd, or is that impossible? </s>
Marius

Post by Marius »

yeah everyone in the world is an activist except for the "honest, impartial, unbiased" folks you get your information from, right?
I get my information from all sorts of sources, and I watch for bias very carefully. Bias isn't a matter of agreement. It's something that you can find with a critical look at research methodology (which, go figure, I'm heavily trained in). I don't allege bias lightly.

Most people who are publishing studies on the death penalty are activists. It's the nature of the literature.
You seem to doubt anything that doesn't go along with your views
You're right, I do. I form my views very, very carefully, based on the best information I have, so I'm confident about them. Contradictory "information" often turns out to be lacking.
Do you ever allow for the fact that you may be wrong?
No. I wouldn't try to make a point if I thought it was wrong. Would you?
Perhaps the sources you base your opinion on are the ones which are heavily biasd, or is that impossible?
It's not impossible, but it's about as improbable as anything I can think of. I examine my sources pretty thorougly.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

This made six pages with out a single word from me? Wow.
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

Thread-Necromancy MOST foul!
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

3278 wrote:By the way, CE is right about the death penalty and its effect on violent crime. I was going to make a point of that if someone started a capital punishment thread and attempted to show it was a deterrant.
Hmm. I thought I once cited statistics agreeing with your point here, but you refuted them. Weird.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Oh fuck. Some of this is just embarrassing. Did I really waffle on like that? Was I retarded?

I don't remember being retarded...
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

/not say anything about the above post.
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Szechuan wrote:Hmm. I thought I once cited statistics agreeing with your point here, but you refuted them. Weird.
That's not even remotely unlikely. One thing about having been a competition debater: I can prove either side of nearly any issue. Finding the truth is always more complex than finding evidence.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Angel wrote:/not say anything about the above post.
:wideeyes There :/ is no 8) evidence 8) of :D my :conf retardation :conf
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

3278 wrote: One thing about having been a competition debater: I can prove either side of nearly any issue. Finding the truth is always more complex than finding evidence.
So very true. So very true.