Bittorrent Clients

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Is anyone else having trouble with the suprnova site recently? For the past few days it was being a bit temperamental and now it wont come up at all. Wondering whether the site itself is being fucky-fucky or just my end. :/
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

I have not had any problems durring the last couple of days. But it does have a tendency to go up and down a bit, could just be a mirror problem, some of them tend to go away quite quickly. But just keep hitting the main url then and hope for another mirror.
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

I am going to pull this back up and throw out a question for you all.

3-2 mentioned going to IRC to get the torrents. Does that mean you aren't going to IRC and DCCing the whole file? Do you just get the torrent...open it much like me basically right clicking on a torrent off a site and opening it from there? or what? Admittedly it was this thread that kinda got me going and the fact there are a couple of things I have wanted to get my hands on that I just haven't been able to...So how about toss me a bone here...
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Yes that is exactly what it means. You go in IRC, someone or something DCC's you the .torrent file and then you go on and download it via BT instead of the whole file via IRC DCC.

This quite simply cause the download speed and way of distribution is so much more efficient via BT. DCC IRC transfer is 1 -> 1 while BitTorrent is X -> 1, where X hopefully is a really really large number of people.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Someone - and I thought it was Sal, but I can't remember where - suggested µTorrent as a bittorrent client. I recall scoffing, and regaling everyone with the natural superiority of my own suggestion, Azureus. More or less since it was first released, I've used nothing but Azureus as my primary BT client. Its extensive array of options, and incredibly detailed graphs, made it better for me, a hardcore downloader, than anything else out there.

Well, I'm not a hardcore downloader anymore. I set up a few torrents, then come back a week later to find them done. Any bittorrent client could do that, so I thought, why not try something simpler, something less resource-intensive? µTorrent seemed to fit the bill. And lo and behold, it's actually better. There are maybe two graphs I'd like to have, and only a couple of features, but there are also major interface improvements and a couple of features Azureus doesn't have. And if you're not actively monitoring torrents, all of the sudden there's just no reason to use Azureus, particularly when it sucks up 70+ megs of RAM when doing nothing, while µTorrent is sipping a mere 18,780 while fully loaded with large, multisource torrents.

If you use another client, give µTorrent a try. Unless you're the most power-user sort of downloader out there, µTorrent has everything you need and more, looks better, works better, and you can actually use your computer when it's running.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

3278 wrote:Someone - and I thought it was Sal, but I can't remember where - suggested µTorrent as a bittorrent client. I recall scoffing, and regaling everyone with the natural superiority of my own suggestion, Azureus.
Yeah, you pretty much told me I was a lightweight and should leave the room while the men talked. So: Told you so.
Just Pete
Tasty Human

Post by Just Pete »

Ah, but it hasn't been ported to Linux yet. All of my DL'ing lately is on my linux server.

Is there anything better (looking, performing) than Azureus for linux?
_<font color=#5c7898>Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit.</font>

<font color=red>It's funny how lately it seems, that I'm left alone with just my dreams,
and even though my dreams are few; it's funny how they're all of you!
- The Love of My Life</font>
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Something better than Azureus, huh?

I shall give it a look.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo