My Interesting New Job

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

My Interesting New Job

Post by Jeff Hauze »

So, I spent today learning how not to cause a death via the telephone by accidentally using words like depression, sadness, morbid, funeral, and coroner. And I've also found out that on Thursday, I'll be going to Tredyffrin Township Police Department (probably the best and most well-equipped police department in my county) at 7:15 am in the morning. I'll be spending the day participating in a ride-along. I need to be present for role call at 7:15 am, as well as getting fitted for a Kevlar vest to wear through the day, as well as going through all the morning procedures. Oh, and I have the wonderful responsibility of having to stay with my assigned officer at all times. Which means, if he decides to take off on a foot pursuit or enter a building, I have to remain at his side. Being told that I have to wear a vest wasn't exactly reassuring.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Serious Paul
Devil

What are you doing?

Post by Serious Paul »

I read it, are you becoming a Policeman?
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Re: What are you doing?

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Jeff chuckles.

Thankfully, no Paul. I'm training to be a Emergency Services Telecommunicator, aka 911 Operator. We have to participate in police ride-alongs, so that we can see the other side of the job. The guys in the field, and how our jobs interact with and affect their jobs. Additionally, due to liability (and rightly so), I am required to wear a vest. I'm not unhappy about it, it's really the smartest thing to do. However on a Monday morning, it's a bit of a shocker.

Trainer: "So, you'll be going to Tredyffrin Township on Thursday. Be there at 7:15."
Jeff: "Sure. No problem. I'm looking forward to it."
Trainer: "Oh, you'll get assigned to an officer then, and get your vest."
Jeff: "Vest? What vest?"
Trainer: "Your Kevlar vest?"
Jeff: "WHAT THE FUCK?!"

:)
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

No, actually that would be me. Or, at least I hope so. On April 27, I take the first round of tests to become a Connecticut State Trooper.
Silent Sniper
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Silent Sniper »

Good luck.
_
The Duke of Slack
Wielder of the Axe of Mass Destruction
Keeper of the Food Loaf

Quote of the random period of time:
Beware, naughty children, for the bells herald Santa's dark harvest of souls...
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

If you make it, then Kwyn could say that he knows 2 cool policemen.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
DrunkenMaster
Bulldrekker

Post by DrunkenMaster »

Congrats, Jeff. Though this might not be your version of an ideal job, it is very interesting work. My roommate right now is interned with the county sheriff's office and he always comes home with something new and interesting that he can't tell to protect the innocent.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Jeff: "Vest? What vest?"
Trainer: "Your Kevlar vest?"
Jeff: "WHAT THE FUCK?!"
Hey, those phones can put up a nasty fight. You've gotta be safe.

It's Jeff the Phone Wrangler!
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

heh :)
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Jeff, you have been bumped up about 10 places in my "Most Uber-Coolest People List." :)
The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

congratulations jeff, i'm hoping that you don't get shot.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

How to offer good wishes in the most dismal way possible. :)
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Well, he _does_ have to wear a kevlar vest...and it's probably not because it looks cool like some people here in Amsterdam utilize the heavy bastards for.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

"Hello?"

"Hello, I'm not feeling so good."

"What's up?"

"What's up! I don't think I want to live anymore that's what's up!"

"Hold on!"

[Loud death metal]

"I'm back, hello?"

"I need someone to talk to."

"Call your mum."

"My mother died last year."

"Serves you right, bitch! Ha ha! I'm just playing. Listen, if you've ever feeling sad and low, page me and I'll call you."

"You will?"

"I'll call you a neardy bitch, for bothering me! Now listen, don't blow your monkey head off!"

"Who cares if I do?"

"The poor guy who's gotta clean that shit up, if you're gonna do it, do it outside or something!"

"You don't think I'm gonna do it, do ya?"

"Honestly, I could give a rat's arse!"

"You think I'm kidding, huh, you think I..."

"DO IT! DO IT YOU STUPID SON OF A BITCH! BRING ME THE GUN I'LL FUCKING DO IT FOR YOU!"

BANG

"Hello? Hello? Are you there?"

"... hello?"

"I knew you wouldn't do it you neardy BITCH!"
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Now, that bit started off really well with the death metal bit...but then it went downhill as it became more abrassive. I think a bit more subtlety in the operator's apathy would've worked wonders for your post. :)
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

TheScamp wrote:
No, actually that would be me. Or, at least I hope so. On April 27, I take the first round of tests to become a Connecticut State Trooper.
Holy Shit... good luck Scamp.

Jeff:: My friend works in security and he wears a vest as well, even though the Bay Area is one of the safest areas in the country (in proportion to the population) . It's more of a "what if?" situatation. You never plan on getting shot... I know that I'm going to wear one.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Sludig
Tasty Human

Post by Sludig »

Jeff: Congrats, and keep your head down. Remember, use the officer as a shield. :D
_*I may be crazy but I'm not insane*
Pistons
Bulldrekker

Post by Pistons »

Hey, congrats on the new job, Jeff. :)
_<font size=1>`Ay,' he said. `folks should do their own fuckin', then they wouldn't want to listen to a lot of clatfart about another man's.'
- Oliver Mellors, <i>Lady Chatterley's Lover</i> </font>
voz
Wuffle Initiate

Post by voz »

K vests do not protect arms, legs, balls, or head. Do you wear a helmet as well?
R.A.G.
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by R.A.G. »

Way cool on the new job, Jeff. I know a few dispatchers here in Jersey, and most of them are either EMTs on the side, or prepping for the Police Academys.

Any plans on "Moving up?" Or you feelin' like being a Phone Jockey for this stage of career?

voz: While a vest doesn't protect those areas (Though there is a groin attachment on some styles of body armor... doens't pay to take one in the Little Cop), if it were designed to do so, it would be fuckin' heavy and more than little cumbersome. Imagine trying to do a foot pursuit wearing 50+ lbs of armor.

Plus, most folks shoot for center of Body Mass, hence that's where the Kevlar goes.[/list]
_
The Storm has a name...
PMWrestler
Bulldrekker

Post by PMWrestler »

Wow, a dispatcher? I have all the respect in the world for those guys. See, I'm going to be a fireman in a few years, once I'm old enough...My dad is on now, FDNY Rescue 4 in Queens. My cousin was on the job..132 Truck in Brooklyn. Anyway, whenever I go in, and they are on thier way to a job, it's amazing to listen to this dispatchers and try to understand how they're organizing all of that chaos so that there's always fire protection around the city, while still reinforcing units at a specific fire. I imagine its the same way with the police department. So, Good Luck man, they can always use a good dispatcher to organize the chaos.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

PMW :: NYC Fire fighters are some of the toughest and bravest guys around. Good luck, PMW.
R.A.G.
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by R.A.G. »

That they are... some of the best of the best.

Good luck, PMW. We need more heroes like those that have given their all up in NY.
_
The Storm has a name...
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Congrats Thud

Post by Jeff Hauze »

TheScamp wrote:
Does this mean I can call you Officer Onomatopoeia? :D
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

DrunkenMaster wrote: Congrats, Jeff. Though this might not be your version of an ideal job, it is very interesting work. My roommate right now is interned with the county sheriff's office and he always comes home with something new and interesting that he can't tell to protect the innocent.
Actually, as I've since discovered, it really is my version of an ideal job. The department's mentality suits me, the pay is well more than I've made in the past, it's county government benefits (always very nice), and the potential for long-term employment is great, as well as simply staying short term and racking up some dollars. More importantly for me, it's direct service. I enjoy government work. It suits me, and I suit it. But indirect service work simply leaves you bored out of your mind. (Probably the biggest reason my stint in the IT industry did't pan out.)
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

More Questions

Post by Jeff Hauze »

DV8 wrote: Jeff, you have been bumped up about 10 places in my "Most Uber-Coolest People List." :)
Umm..I'm curious as to why?
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Does this mean I can call you Officer Onomatopoeia?
I'd happily consent, if I could only find something onomatopetic about it.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Last Questions

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Cash: Yeah, I understand it's more for liability and the "what if" situations. It still came as a bit of a shock to this country boy first thing on a Monday morning. :)
Way cool on the new job, Jeff. I know a few dispatchers here in Jersey, and most of them are either EMTs on the side, or prepping for the Police Academys.

Any plans on "Moving up?" Or you feelin' like being a Phone Jockey for this stage of career?
Plans to move up? Yes. First off, until May 21, I'm still in training. From May 21 to approximately July 1st, I'll be working on the floor during my probation period under the watchful eye of a Certified Training Officer (CTO). Once the CTO releases me, after I pass the certifications as well as finish my 144 hours of probation time, I'll be on my own. (Hopefully full-time immediately, but that won't be confirmed until much later down the line.)

After 1 year of experience on the floor as a Telecommunicator, I'll enter into the Police Dispatcher training cycle. From there, I'd like to go for the SCOPE training, which allows me to act as a Supervisory Dispatcher, allowing me to assist in pursuits by organizing and directing units, deal with any NCIC information and registries, as well as doing liasion work with other units we work with. From there, we'll see what happens, but I have some long-term interest in the training and public education side of things.
Wow, a dispatcher? I have all the respect in the world for those guys. See, I'm going to be a fireman in a few years, once I'm old enough...My dad is on now, FDNY Rescue 4 in Queens. My cousin was on the job..132 Truck in Brooklyn. Anyway, whenever I go in, and they are on thier way to a job, it's amazing to listen to this dispatchers and try to understand how they're organizing all of that chaos so that there's always fire protection around the city, while still reinforcing units at a specific fire. I imagine its the same way with the police department. So, Good Luck man, they can always use a good dispatcher to organize the chaos.
Let me clear something up here. Chester County (the county I work in) does operate the same as NYC, most major urban centers, or even most other rural areas. We run on a divided pattern. Telecommunicators (the initial position I'll have) answer the calls and deal with the consumers on the front end, getting all the proper information into the CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) system. From there, the call information will be sent to the proper dispatchers (Police, Fire/EMS, or both in many cases). The Dispatchers will organize the call and send it out to the appropriate authorities.

Even more interesting, because I live in a Commonwealth, and not a true State, the local authorities have no legal obligation to obey the Dispatcher. This can obviously lead to some interesting circumstances. But all told, I find many more advantages in that system than disadvantages. It allows the Calltakers to focus on their job solely, and the same for the Dispatchers. Additionally, it allows for people to fill the right positions. (Don't have the right social skills? Be a Dispatcher. Let the faces deal with the callers.) The Calltakers only need to deal with getting the information out to the Dispatchers within 90 seconds, so the units can roll. Then, the calltaker can deal with providing any Emergency Medical Dispatch that may be necessary or gathering more detailed information. With the Automated Number Identification and Automatic Location Identification, it makes things incredibly efficient.

And I've just realized how much I'm babbling on. I love this stuff.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Thud?

Post by Jeff Hauze »

TheScamp wrote:
Does this mean I can call you Officer Onomatopoeia?
I'd happily consent, if I could only find something onomatopetic about it.
Remember? Thorn's comment about violent onomatopoeia? Thud? Never mind.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

More Questions

Post by DV8 »

Jeff Hauze wrote:
DV8 wrote: Jeff, you have been bumped up about 10 places in my "Most Uber-Coolest People List." :)
Umm..I'm curious as to why?
Because I didn't quite realize how involved your job would be. Mind you, the only thing I know about 911 operators is what Mr. Shatner tells me. ;)
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

Congratulations, Jeff. I truly think it´s a job made for you. Let me know how training goes and all.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Gongrats Jeff, have fun while your out. Play with all the buttons, they like that. :D

Scamp: Way cool man, good luck on the test.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Thud
Tasty Human

Post by Thud »

Remember? Thorn's comment about violent onomatopoeia? Thud? Never mind.
You mean this one?
_<font size=1> <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" color=#5c7898>Really, most people who can claim violent onomotopeia as a namesake are given a great deal of linguistic leeway.
-Thorn</font>
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Vestage

Post by Cazmonster »

Cool, now you can go talk smack at somebody and watch them freak out as you pull a Superman on their weak-ass guns.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
DarkMage

RE:

Post by DarkMage »

Hey want to really impress your boss? Learn how to use a TTY/TTDs so you can handle calls from the Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or people with speech defects.
_
What is a friend? A single soul in two bodies - Aristotle
Drive by Ogling
:plode :plode :plode
</hr>
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

RE:

Post by Jeff Hauze »

DarkMage wrote: Hey want to really impress your boss? Learn how to use a TTY/TTDs so you can handle calls from the Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or people with speech defects.
Heh. Already know how to do that one, Dark Mage. :) Additionally, that is something we are required to learn in for 911. No choice about it. Our percentage of TDD calls are very low, but still definitely important enough. Additionally, we can also use AT&T's Language Line for third party translation of foreign languages, as well as for third party TDD services. I have a bit of an advantage there though, as I worked with the Center for Hearing and Deafness (CHAD) in West Chester on quite a few past occasions. When I worked in Human Services, I was the only person who knew how to use TDD, as well as to take advantage of Language Line. Best part about it, with the new pay at the new job, I'll be able to afford the ASL/Speech Communcations training course I've been wanting to take.
PMWrestler
Bulldrekker

Post by PMWrestler »

what exactly is a TTY/TTDs??
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
PMWrestler
Bulldrekker

Post by PMWrestler »

Thats pretty cool