Sound Problem

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Nightsky
Squire of the Crimson Assfro
Location: metaplane of booze, illect substances, and nekkid women

Sound Problem

Post by Nightsky »

Something unusual happened today.

May laptop makes this really funny buzzing, static sound whenever it plays a sound or music file. This is crippling to me because my laptop has all my mp3s and listen to music that sounds worse than an 8-track is killing me. Plus I need this music to keep my sanity during working hours. I noticed that this occurred a day after I left my laptop (packed up) in my car overnight while I spent the night at a friends house.

The static occurs sometimes when playing a game, and all the time when playing music. I use MusicMatch4 to play my mp3s. The sound interference isn't in the speakers. When I plug in headphones or external speakers the static carries with it. I doubt it's a bug in the Musicmatch, because it carries over to games played on it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm beginning to think it's a problem with the hardware, due to age and the wear and tear it brings.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Extreme temperatures might be fucking with some of the circuitry of your soundcard. Read: your soundcard is busted. Either that, or one of the connectors between the soundcard and the speakers/headphones plug.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

You didn't do something silly like leave it in the car when it was cold or humid, and then bring it inside and turn it on within a couple hours, did you? One word: Condensation.

Other than that...I know I've seen this problem before, but I can't remember where. I'll think about it some more today.
Nightsky
Squire of the Crimson Assfro
Location: metaplane of booze, illect substances, and nekkid women

Post by Nightsky »

I thought about that, but the temperature that night wasn't bad. 60-70 F

I'll check out the connections between the soundcard. Maybe something shook loose while I was moving it back and forth.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

Is it still in Warranty?
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I don't think warranty covers mistreatment. Those little stickers that give you the temperature tolerance and such, I think that if you go against that, that you immediately "break the seal."
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

That is why you just dont tell them "I left it outside"

You say, I went to turn my laptop on one day and I got this static all over the place. Trust me, unless you spill coke over it, they will more than likely replace it. I used to be one of the techs. Unless it was blatent misuse, we would replace it under warranty.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Frost on the inside of your computer isn't blatant misuse!? :)
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Nah, it's just stupid.
DarkMage

Post by DarkMage »

True! :roll
_
What is a friend? A single soul in two bodies - Aristotle
Drive by Ogling
:plode :plode :plode
</hr>
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Sucks to Be Nightsky

Post by Cazmonster »

Damn dude, that is hard.

Now I just need to get more mac heads in here so I can bitch about my Florentine Monitors not working.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>