Hardware Hacking

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
No-Life Loser

Hardware Hacking

Post by 3278 »

Although I haven't gotten deeply into it, over the last couple of years I've started to do more hardware modding and building of devices, from homemade table-sized touchscreens to custom computer cases to Arduino radio control helicopters. My profound lack of motivation prevents me from doing more, but I still manage to at least get a project or two to the prototype stage before moving on to something else.

Something I would definitely like to do is leverage the IOIO [pronounced "yo-yo"] to control various features of my Cherokee. I'm not sure why I'd write an Android application to lock the doors, or fire up the air compressor, or turn on the turn signals, from a wired device attached to my Droid, but...well, I really want to, anyway. I'm sure I'll find a way to make it useful.

What kinds of hardhack projects are you into?
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

You want to do it because the next step is to jack into the wired device yourself. Now you're a rigger :D

For me, I'm kind of interested in custom firearms stocks, basically the kind of stuff prop departments do to make "futuristic" guns. I'd really like to have a tacticool tommygun. Just 'cause.

I'm also a big fan of conversions on gaming miniatures. If I can get what I want kitbashing and resculpting a basic model instead of buying the upgraded one, I will.
-call me Andy, dammit
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Are you familiar with circuit bending, 32?
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

paladin2019 wrote:For me, I'm kind of interested in custom firearms stocks, basically the kind of stuff prop departments do to make "futuristic" guns. I'd really like to have a tacticool tommygun. Just 'cause.
Like zees?
It's all about crystal meth and Gwar. - Hauze
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

Raygun wrote:
paladin2019 wrote:For me, I'm kind of interested in custom firearms stocks, basically the kind of stuff prop departments do to make "futuristic" guns. I'd really like to have a tacticool tommygun. Just 'cause.
Like zees?
Almost :D
I'd like an HK or PM-98 type collapsing stock and an M1 for the base gun. I'm not a fan of shooting hand for charging, but I like top mounted less. I'd also like to open up the top of the barrel like the original M1 forearm. Maybe add a Mossberg type heat shield for aesthtics.

Maybe a dumb question, was that gun suppressed or did it just have a big Noveske style muzzle brake?
-call me Andy, dammit
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

paladin2019 wrote:Almost :D
I'd like an HK or PM-98 type collapsing stock and an M1 for the base gun. I'm not a fan of shooting hand for charging, but I like top mounted less. I'd also like to open up the top of the barrel like the original M1 forearm.
Yeah, the stock arrangement on the Thompson was never ideal. But they all fire from an open bolt, which is even worse.
Maybe add a Mossberg type heat shield for aesthtics.
But. But then where do you mount all your lights and lasers and Aimpoints and foward grips? :)
Maybe a dumb question, was that gun suppressed or did it just have a big Noveske style muzzle brake?
I think it's just some big, goofy brake that Red Jacket (the company that show revolves around) fabricated. You can see some slots in the top of it (unlike the Noveske thing) early in the video.
Last edited by Raygun on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

paladin2019 wrote:You want to do it because the next step is to jack into the wired device yourself. Now you're a rigger :D
Man, what I wouldn't give...

I really want to do more car/computer work, but for one thing, my only car now is my Jeep, which I like to keep simple. So I'm not going to set up some kind of on-board automatic air system for the tires that's controlled by a dash-mounted Xoom, no matter how cool that'd be.

But I still want to do some car modding - beyond the obvious mechanical stuff - so I'm thinking about doing something simple, like building new interiors for the doors. I kind of need to make new door cards, because I'm installing oversized speakers in my next Jeep, so it seems like a decent excuse to make a custom interior...which also means custom switchgear, in the case of the doors. I don't know: I spend a lot of time inside the Jeep, and I constantly see little things I know I could easily change, because of the simplicity of the design, but I also don't want a half-assed Frankenstein of a car because I got halfway through building a new interior and then decided to get into air fern farming.

One thing I've been thinking a ton about is making my steering wheel into the control for my turn signals. My steering wheel is this one - although mine lacks that very fine camo wheel cover :conf - and so the spokes are metal; what I'd like to do is wire them like touch lamps, to activate a relay, to trigger the blinkers.
Ancient History wrote:Are you familiar with circuit bending, 32?
Yeah, we went through a period some years ago where people would bring us whatever crazy childrens' toys they found, and we'd draw over traces and wire up pots and just fiddle with stuff. Oddly, while I'm well-known for sampling the hell out of the strangest noises and despite the fact that I've been known to use samples of the childrens' toys, I don't think anything bent over got made into anything meaningful. Very strange.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

What counts for this? I recently got to do some carpentry work in an older home involving floor joists. I'm not sure if it counts though.

You know, I can't wait for DNI, because I like technology that I can hit. Hammers, nails, saws, all this makes a lot more sense to me than the electrical bits.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Raygun
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Raygun »

paladin2019 wrote:Maybe a dumb question, was that gun suppressed or did it just have a big Noveske style muzzle brake?
I think it's just some big, goofy brake that Red Jacket (the company that show revolves around) fabricated. You can see some slots in the top of it (unlike the Noveske thing) early in the video.
Actually, at 0:20 it looks like the original Cutts compensator that was on the gun before they modded it.
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

Raygun wrote:
paladin2019 wrote:Almost :D
I'd like an HK or PM-98 type collapsing stock and an M1 for the base gun. I'm not a fan of shooting hand for charging, but I like top mounted less. I'd also like to open up the top of the barrel like the original M1 forearm.
Yeah, the stock arrangement on the Thompson was never ideal. But they all fire from an open bolt, which is even worse.
So does the grease gun and that's fun :D
Raygun wrote:
paladin2019 wrote:Maybe add a Mossberg type heat shield for aesthtics.
But. But then where do you mount all your lights and lasers and Aimpoints and foward grips? :)
Only the top of the barrel. I still want 3, 6, and 9 o'clock rails ;)
-call me Andy, dammit