How Different Groups Spend Their Day

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

How Different Groups Spend Their Day

Post by DV8 »

I was looking at this article at the NY Times, and was absolutely taken by the interface of the graph that shows how different groups of people spend their time. Take a look at it, it's a simple, but impressive piece of design. Oh, and an interesting piece of research.
Heavy_D
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Heavy_D »

Nice presentation indeed, especially when you change the group parameters round and see the graph morph to display the way they spend their time.
It's lonely at the top. But it's comforting to look down upon everyone at the bottom.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Heavy_D wrote:Nice presentation indeed, especially when you change the group parameters round and see the graph morph to display the way they spend their time.
Yeah, that's cool, but I like the mouse-overs better.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

Very cool. Average time spent on 'Work':

Everyone: 3.25 hrs/day
Men: 4.07 hrs
Women: 2.46

Is this number so low because most people work five days a week?

Another one that struck me: "While only about 5 percent of people have trouble falling asleep, those who do are lying awake for 70 minutes, on average." Damn. That's a long time.

And a good 54 seconds a day on activities /including/ sex. That'll teach me to ever complain again about performance.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Eva wrote:Very cool. Average time spent on 'Work':

Everyone: 3.25 hrs/day
Men: 4.07 hrs
Women: 2.46

Is this number so low because most people work five days a week?
I guess it's because it includes unemployed people as well as young people that don't have a job.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Eva wrote:Is this number so low because most people work five days a week?
Among other things. If you work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, your average time spent working will be 5.7 hours. Add in all the pensioners, unemployed, and kids [over 15] who aren't working, and I'm amazed it's as high as it is; there must be a lot of people out there doing the 60 hour workweek.

Reading this thing just pisses me off, but I am awed at the brilliance of the presentation.

edit: One thing I wish you could do on the detail screen is pick more than one demographic, so you could do, for instance, male college graduates over the age of 65, or white female 25-64, or Hispanic employed male with 2+ children and a high school degree, etc.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

God damn it. There was another thread like this, and I swear Dennis started it, that had another really clever graph about how Americans spent their money. Am I imagining this, or just not seeing it?
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

3278 wrote:God damn it. There was another thread like this, and I swear Dennis started it, that had another really clever graph about how Americans spent their money. Am I imagining this, or just not seeing it?
The only one that comes to mind is the one about how different people spend their budget on food. Is that the one you're referring to?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Nope. Argh!

I can clearly remember the graph, but I think I'm conflating it with this thread and the food thread you mentioned. You may have had nothing to do with it at all, nor Eva, and it may not have even been on Bulldrek! Feck.