What's your 'Shut up, sit down, get it done' trick?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

What's your 'Shut up, sit down, get it done' trick?

Post by Eva »

I am easily distracted. I also have a million different things I need to do at work (I'm currently responsible for 24 clients. That may be a little too much). Result: I need to really force myself to shut up, sit down and get stuff done if it will take more than two minutes.

My weapon of choice is DJ Shadow's Fixed Income. I will play this song on repeat until the job is done, if it takes all damn day to do it. What's yours?
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I am not easily distracted, I either want to do something or I don't. If I don't want to do it, chances are I won't no matter what you threaten or entice me with. (Ask my employer.) While working I do like music, but I am not choosy. I'll take nearly anything, from NPR, to the 80's radio channel, to Windows Media Player on random.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

One thing I forgot to mention: I can't get anything done to Country and Western music. That shit is down right depressing.

One of the things, upon further reflection, that motivates me is the desire to not end up in prison. I see people who make bad choices all day long-they may each be unique, but they share many common factors.

At work I tell people that it's better to be a sniper than a gladiator. Wait for your shot, patiently. Don't wade in like a damned fool and burn out before you get your shot.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Turning on Digitally Imported's Hardcore channel. Its impossible *not* to Get Shit Done listening to that. Dubstep.fm too if its one of those monotonous repetitive tasks and I don't have to turn it up too loud, it vibrates things off shelves if I turn it up to be hearable in the laundry room for instance.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

A deadline is my best measure to get something done. I have an uncanny knack for waiting until the very last minute before working on something,and then finishing it just in time. No deadline = endless procrastination for me. Just ask my wife...I've been working on remodeling our new laundry room on the 2nd floor since January. This is, at most, a 1-2 month, weekends-only project. Yet, I still have to finish the flooring, trim and paint.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Kai wrote:Turning on Digitally Imported's Hardcore channel. Its impossible *not* to Get Shit Done listening to that. Dubstep.fm too if its one of those monotonous repetitive tasks and I don't have to turn it up too loud, it vibrates things off shelves if I turn it up to be hearable in the laundry room for instance.
It's good to see another di.fm fan. I'm usually listening to the minimal, goa-psy or psy-chill channels. :)
Tiny Deev
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Tiny Deev »

Get angry. I get angry and sit down and get shit done angrily. Then when I am calm I can review what I did, see what I did wrong, get angry at myself and then repeat untill its flawless I guess.
Funny, yet sad. Kinda like getting tit-fucked by a clown.
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

A dose of ritalin, crank up the tunes on playlist.com and a cup of coffee usually does the trick.
Quoth Drunken Master:
"When Colin Powell walks out of your cabinet because of doctrinal issues, you've got problems."
Quoth Moto42:
"Bulldrek, where love and appreciation are accompanied by a volley of gunfire."
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

DV8 wrote:
Kai wrote:Turning on Digitally Imported's Hardcore channel. Its impossible *not* to Get Shit Done listening to that. Dubstep.fm too if its one of those monotonous repetitive tasks and I don't have to turn it up too loud, it vibrates things off shelves if I turn it up to be hearable in the laundry room for instance.
It's good to see another di.fm fan. I'm usually listening to the minimal, goa-psy or psy-chill channels. :)
I flop between the Vocal Trance and Hardcore there, Beirut Nights, Dubstep.fm and The Cape Radio (City of Heroes, Virtue server radio station I do stuff for)

Grifter
Tasty Human

Post by Grifter »

UncleJoseph wrote:A deadline is my best measure to get something done. I have an uncanny knack for waiting until the very last minute before working on something,and then finishing it just in time. No deadline = endless procrastination for me.
I'm exactly the same. "Put it off, put it off, oh damn, it's gotta be done now, finished!"
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

I used to be like that, but that usually ended in going to bed at 4:30am after a programming bender or 12+hr days at work and being frustrated at the end product's flaws...its much better for my mental health and sleep cycle to make myself work on it in chunks well ahead of the deadline :7

Grifter
Tasty Human

Post by Grifter »

Well, my mental health is already rather questionable and I've learned to do with about five hours of sleep a night. Seriously though, it probably would be a lot better if I learned to plan things a bit better.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Cigerettes.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Chain-smoking and music at approx. 116 BPM with lots of bass.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Deadlines, or more specifically, other people's expectations. [Gonna get those e-mails out to Joseph, and Eli's music site, today!] Failing that, music, usually electronic, usually instrumental.