[Tech] Hard Drive Not Working

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

[Tech] Hard Drive Not Working

Post by Gunny »

I have a new rig that uses the new SATA drives and I have an older HD from my previous case that I couldn't fit into the new case. So, I got an external shell, plugged in the old drive and accessed it via USB. That worked fine until the third time I plugged in the USB to access the drive (I was about to start pulling files from the old HD over to my new HD). The device couldn't be seen. Jas got me a new USB cable, thinking the one that came with the shell might have died. That one didn't work either. We tried plugging it up to the USB port on his comp and had the same problem of the device not being seen. We did test other USB devices to make sure it wasn't our ports and everything else worked fine.

I'm wondering if maybe it was the HD that died, not the USB cable. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I really need to get to the stuff on this HD, provided it's not dead.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Ensure other USB devices are working normally. If they are, try connecting the drive using their port. Otherwise, crack open your case and run an IDE cable and molex to it (with the machine powered down); virtually all motherboards still have one IDE channel. (That'd be the one your optical drive is connected to. If the ribbon cable you're using only has one connector, just disconnect the optical drive until you've pulled everything off.) If the IDE cable works, something's wrong with the enclosure. If the IDE cable doesn't work, you probably have a dead drive.