Post Philosophical Debate

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post Philosophical Debate

Post by Liniah »

Is there such thing as too much common sense?
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I'm inclined to say that people who have too much common sense are the ones who hardly take any chances and live a very 'muted' lifestyle. How do you view someone with too much common sense?
Heavy_D
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Heavy_D »

How would you be able to tell if someone has too much common sense? Is there even a way to measure such a thing? I think this would always be related to where you stand yourself in certain matters. So at best it would be a subjective opinion on how such a person behaves
It's lonely at the top. But it's comforting to look down upon everyone at the bottom.
Serious Paul
Devil

Re: Post Philosophical Debate

Post by Serious Paul »

Liniah wrote:Is there such thing as too much common sense?
If there is I have never seen it.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

You could only have too much common sense if acting on said common sense was against common sense, but by that token you should have too much common sense to act against common sense. Unless, of course, it is common sense to act in such a way.

Fun with words besides, if you develop an overabundance of common sense you are more than likely going to tend to begin doing things a little strangely as you think about what will happen, the consequences of your actions, etc. Go far enough down this path and what seems common sense to you will no longer seem like common sense to everyone else. You will be in two completely different frames of reference for common sense, which perhaps graduates to the term uncommon sense.

Which would make a neat super-power, if you think of it.
"Why did you move like that?"
"To avoid the bullets. It's just common sense."
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Common sense is wisdom. I don't think you can be too wise.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

What is the common sense you speak of? Your ideas intrigue me and I'd like to subscribe to your magazine.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Re: Post Philosophical Debate

Post by Johnny the Bull »

Liniah wrote:Is there such thing as too much common sense?
It depends on the definition of common sense. My mother has plenty of common sense. Common sense dictates that one should never invest in the stock market, that term deposits are the only worthwhile investment other than the 'safe as houses' real estate market (which in reality is more volatile than the stock market). For most people, like dear old mum, common sense is a means of justifying not doing things that are too difficult to understand or execute. In that case, fuck common sense in the eye.

But, if interpreted like CE, then he is right. You can't have too much common sense.
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey