Student Government

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Ancient History
Demon

Student Government

Post by Ancient History »

What is your opinion on Student Government in schools?

I ask because it's election time here again (groan) and we've got a new crop of probably well-meaning and moderately intelligent (God knos, possibly even dedicated) people who've bought suits, gathered followers, and started grafitting the campus walls and sidewalks with variations of "Vote for Me!"

My problem with the business? The Student Government can't do jack shite. They sit on the Board of Trustees with a grand total of 1 vote (out of 32); they have a rather large budget taken from our tuitions which they can't touch for anything without the approval of the deans; and the best of them spend their lives running around a nigh-endless series of committees to accomplish other people's objectives...but not the students.

The sad thing is, today in the student newspaper, two of the the prospective electees got called out for promising things they can't deliver (namely, improving the quality of school food, provided by Aramark the Ubercorp.) I'd feel better about this if the student newspaper wasn't run and written by the most conservative bastards on campus, but I digress.

Okay. That's it. My experience, student government = the suck, and I hate the people who run for office because they're annoying fucks who clutter up the landscape. But I want to hear/your/ opinion(s). Because hey, I could be wrong. Happened before.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

I think Student Government is beneficial for two reasons. First off, for students who have a genuine interest in administration, policy, or politics, it offers them a good basic first impression of how things work. It exposes them to the competitiveness of elections, the importance of integrity, that while you cannot always get your way, you can have some influence on how things end up, and it also looks good on a college application.

Secondly, every institution is different. While my graduate school is trying to form a Graduate Council currently to give a otherwise-nonexistent voice to the Graduate students at our University, there currently is no residing voice to represent the students. This has made it exceeding difficult for us to get in contact with anyone who gives a damn about our concerns. Yet, the Undergrad's Student Government is has an exceptional amount of power on campus from any other school I have seen. They do good, balancing the interests of the students with the institution itself, and have been rewarded with both respect and expanded control for doing such. They are very influential here.

A lot of times, I think students - just like citizens - just want to have a voice and to be heard. People are understanding of how the system works enough to realize that their issues may not be resolved and that things for the most part, are going to go unchanged, but to have such concerns be heard can often be enough to satisfy the masses.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

This year, when people are canvassing for Student Government, I will buy a supersoaker and spray anyone who approaches me bearing flyers.
DarkMage
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by DarkMage »

The weird thing at my communiy college was the fact that the student govement was accutally part of the power strucher reported straight to the dean of students, had an elected voting member to the trusties board, and yet no one gave a rats ass.
_
What is a friend? A single soul in two bodies - Aristotle
Drive by Ogling
:plode :plode :plode
</hr>
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

Salvation122 wrote:This year, when people are canvassing for Student Government, I will buy a supersoaker and spray anyone who approaches me bearing flyers.
You're a man after my own heart.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Just remember to load it with Tabasco sauce and aim for the eyes. ;)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

I think that student government serves one very crucial purpose - It teach the concept of political impotence to our future politicians.

Aside from that, it's the most useless fucking thing ever concieved of besides the Microsoft firewall.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
'You must be', said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'

MooCow is a carrier of Mad Cow Disease
JongWK
Bulldrekker

Post by JongWK »

Student Government sucks.

Then again, our SGs are vastly mroe powerful and mostly dominated by left-wing radicals (and I mean Third World radicals, not pansy American liberals), who use them as a platform for political propaganda instead of their true purposes.

There, had to get it out of my chest one day.
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
-Thomas Paine
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

So organise your own rival right wing government faction and launch a coup. ;)
Last edited by FlakJacket on Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Silent Sniper
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Silent Sniper »

I refuse to validate their political wankery by participating in it.
_
The Duke of Slack
Wielder of the Axe of Mass Destruction
Keeper of the Food Loaf

Quote of the random period of time:
Beware, naughty children, for the bells herald Santa's dark harvest of souls...
Kitt
Baron of the Imperium

Post by Kitt »

FlakJacket wrote:Just remember to load it with Tabasco sauce and aim for the eyes. ;)
People in my school generally fill them with piss and aim for the nose. Lovely people, I know.
Silent Sniper wrote:I refuse to validate their political wankery by participating in it.
Amen. I've convinced my friends either not to vote, or to vote for Mickey Mouse 3 years running.
Real life quotes, courtesy of the PetsHotel:
"Drop it, you pervert!"
"Ma'am? Ma'am! You are very round."
"It's a hump-a-palooza today."
"Everybody get away from the poop bucket!"
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

We have a fairly productive student government system here in Aus. At least, they do at my university. This year, the Federal government is trying to pass legislation to remove student government entirely. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that if people see a remotely functional government at one level, they might start to expect it at all levels.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

:|
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

Student Government at my high school was a joke. Their power was limited to Homecoming floats and Prom committees, really. At my college, however, one part of it controlled (directly) the Student Union budget. They had Administrative Staff that answered to them - they could set prices at the Bookstore, they chose what businesses were allowed to sign contracts to deal goods inside the Student Union building, they controlled the student clubs and activities budget (which is currently approximately $8.5 million dollars). So... that portion of the Student Government certainly has some serious influence and actually got a lot of things done and had parts of the school's administration coming to them to ask for money or with proposals instead of the other way around.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Yeah, the system you're describing there is pretty much what we have, and what we'll lose in about 12 months time.