The Death of Bulldrek?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Serious Paul
Devil

The Death of Bulldrek?

Post by Serious Paul »

It's time to ask the age old question: Is Bulldrek dead?

I'm not sure, but the evidence seems pretty convincing that it is. Most of the old crew is gone, or on permanent lurk status.

But what's you're opinion?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

And just so you know, in case you were wondering, I do realize it is the holiday season. This isn't what I call a recent occurence.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Some of us are on vacation (and/or been sucked into the dark void called EQ2 or WoW or CoH)
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Nexusvoid
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Nexusvoid »

Plus, there's been a bit of decentralization going on. General everyday chat has migrated to IRC. Updates on Drekker's lives and personal goings-on have moved to LJ. Much of the gaming talk and brainstorming has moved to Animalball (at least in my perception) or Dumpshock.

Of course, I could be full of shit - as often is the case - but that's how it is in my eyes.
_
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

For me it pretty much is. Bulldrek is boring as shit these days. Most SS topics are nothing but political discussions, and they're pretty inane political discussions. BD topics are just the same few dull topics over and over again.

I check the boards pretty sporadically these days, mostly to see if any new pics have been posted, or if a new gathering has been announced. Other then that, I really couldn't care less.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

It's my curse. Every forum I become a regular of dies a slow and painful death.

Beware Animalball, beware.
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

Paul wrote:Is Bulldrek dead?
Eh, yeah.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Subversive Agent
Bulldrekker

Post by Subversive Agent »

Doom... DOOM! Woe and doooom!
_<font color=#5c7898>"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among those that are."
H.L. Mencken
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Yeah, dead as a marriage. Just going through the motions.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Only a little bit dead.
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

'tis the season to be "only a little bit dead".

It got a bit too political around here, that might have turned a few people off a bit, it's what kinda happened for me.

It seemed like people were getting too impassioned and thin skinned, soon will return the days of Ol', when BDers were jovial, obscene, cuddly, and smelly.

[edit]corrected a typo[/edit]
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

Subversive Agent wrote:Doom... DOOM! Woe and doooom!
To breathe new life into BD we should get together and conjure up Bubathulhu!

Green-eyed kitten
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

:wideeyes
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

Dead? Not so much. A hell of a lot quieter? Yep. We also don't have mad scientist wacky hijinks, sentient swoffee, or a lot of things. It's no different than having a group of friends that you like to hang out with in real life. It's great for a while, and then some of you will find a significant other, some will get jobs, some will move (even if only an hour or two away). We still keep in touch, but we're not kids anymore. The ones who still cling are oftimes as old men meeting in a diner. They get the paper, eat their eggs and drink their coffee while talking about the horrible state of the world.

Or maybe it's like a playground where once you were queens and heroes, where all your dreams came to life. Now that you're older you still like to walk down to the park, but you don't fit in the swings as well as you used to, and the slide isn't nearly as high. And today some of you are meeting at the bar now that you're old enough to get in. Fewer of us still like to come here, but it's precious all the same.

Or maybe it's just that we've gotten what we always asked for. We wanted purity on our forums, so we drove out the undesireables. We mocked and ridiculed newcomers to make sure that the ones left were the ones we could respect even if we didn't agree. We told people who wanted to share their lives with us (I'm looking at YOU, AH) to go get a livejournal. They did. We've divided our hijinks into IRC or real life, we've got our personal discussions kept firmly away from our happy home, and all that's left is the bickering.

Or maybe I'm talking out of my ass, and everything will be okay again when it's ready.
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Anymore Bulldrek is just how I keep in touch with people I consider friends. A lot have live journals, yes, and I talk on IRC, but there are a few that don't or I don't see often that occasionally gravitate back to Bulldrek, like Brine.

Bulldrek was always the anti-establishment group, but when we became the establishment, we lost something to be against. There was nothing to keep us going the same direction but momentum and friendship. Some of us know others better now, and respect them more, but some we know better and respect them less, and so we've fractured into subgroups for all intents.

Its the natural cycle of things. And as almost pointless Bulldrek is nowadays, I can't really honestly say we should shut it down even though a graceful exit is better than a slow death, there's too much attached to the name and the idea.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Ancient History
Demon

Hey Willy! Get cancer and die, painfully! M'kay?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Ancient History wrote:Hey Willy! Get cancer and die, painfully! M'kay?
Uh, I think he was criticising the people who told you to get a livejournal, not you. I think he was pointing out the hypocracy of a place that's for free speech and sharing turning on its own and telling them what they should and should not share, and when, and how. So, cancer yourself. :p
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

AH: Now, hold on. I never had a problem with any of your posts. I'm just commenting on things that have happened to get us where we are. Once livejournal came out, we saw a lot of posts get shot down as being something that should be there instead of here. I mentioned you cuz it happened more often to you than anyone else.

As for cancer, I already have Hep C, thank you very much.
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

Damn, that sucks..
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Ancient History
Demon

Aha. Well. I misinterpreted and overreacted. Badly. And abusively.

Sorry Willy. Really. :(

[/edit] I am also an ass.
Last edited by Ancient History on Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

AH: It's okay. I understand, you've taken a bit of shit around here.

Eva:
Damn, that sucks..
The Hep C? Nah, it's not that bad right now. At the last check I tested negative with no viral load. Now I just keep a lookout to see if it's gone, or just hiding for a few years. The only bad part is not knowing for sure. It just occurred to me again when cancer got mentioned.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

Dead? Got I hope not or else I have a secret necrophilia fetish that I don't know about.

Slow?

Yes.

I think it is as Willy stated. People wanted serious conversation, and well, they got it. And now it has become what serious conversation is, boring.

Informative and mind engaging yes, but in the end it gets rather redundant and people lose interest. I read the boards everyday like I have done for years now. And I post about as much. So for me it is the same as it always has been.

Course I wear sunglasses a lot and love the river Nile. :cool :conf
Last edited by Instant Cash on Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Ghotty
Bulldrekker

Post by Ghotty »

Bulldrek shall never die.
Allahu Akbar
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

We'll multiply!!
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

*presses a red button*

whoops.

Bulldrek has been always slow. Let it be. Moment everyone disappears from this board, I would say this board is dead.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Ancient History
Demon

WillyGilligan wrote:We'll multiply!!
Oh nO! A Bebey's kid's reference! Aargh!
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Or maybe I'm talking out of my ass, and everything will be okay again when it's ready.
You are a fucking genius is what you are.
As for cancer, I already have Hep C, thank you very much.
Yes, but is your Hep C as cute as my Cancer? I think not!
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Angel »

The thread's dead now, Moo's pulled out the adorable kitten pics!
Green-eyed kitten
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

No, kittens have kick started it. I fucking love eating kittens.
No money, no honey
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

:lol

How about puppies?
Alareth
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Alareth »

It only seems dead because Even Moore isn't around anymore for us to pick on. I mean we could always unite in Evan bashing :)
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
"Society without religion is like a psychopath without a gun"
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Bulldrek's not dead. It just smells that way.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

mrmooky wrote:Bulldrek's not dead. It just smells that way.
So it smells like hobo?
No money, no honey
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

It only seems dead because Even Moore isn't around anymore for us to pick on. I mean we could always unite in Evan bashing
But was that being alive? There was a lot of activity, and certainly very few fence-sitting wallflowers when he was around. I'm not sure if that's what's being mourned when these threads pop up.

It's nostalgia, maybe the one thing I know viscerally better than I do conceptually. When it all started, and I don't remember that much of the "fight the power" ethic that some people talk about, anything and everything were possible. Everything was shiny and new. These threads are sort of like asking if your marriage is dead because you're not having the wild monkey sex that you used to have twice a day for the first year. It's never going to be the way it used to be. We don't have the Mighty Buddha, Nightsky (I forget if he's gone or just infrequent just now), or Cazmonster (Cazmonster! Of all people.) Change the names around depending on when you joined.

You're never gonna have your first fight again. You're never gonna be a virgin again. And this will never be the way it used to was.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

WillyGilligan wrote:These threads are sort of like asking if your marriage is dead because you're not having the wild monkey sex that you used to have twice a day for the first year. It's never going to be the way it used to be.
Which I feel is very wrong with long term relationships.

I really want to know /why/ this happens.

I know it is not due to lack of desire on my part. :/

you hear about this with almost every relationship though. Why the fuck does the fire go out? If I could answer that, many people would not have the "I need to get laid" look about them.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

Why the fuck does the fire go out?
I'll indulge myself in metaphor for a little bit. Feel free to duck out and tune back in afterwards if that's not your thing. I'll be straightforward again towards the end.

When camping, the brightest fire is your least useful. Dousing wood with lighter fluid and creating a bright, shiny blaze of glory gets you nothing really but noxious fumes and a pretty show. For cooking or warmth, you want to wait until that flash dies down. Cooking on flames often as not chars the outside of your food and leaves the inside raw. It's the coals that make the best meal, and it's the coals that will endure long after the bonfire has turned to ash. Both fires need fuel and oxygen, but the slow fire lasts.

I'll get to the straightforward part later tonight.
Subversive Agent
Bulldrekker

Re: The Death of Bulldrek?

Post by Subversive Agent »

Serious Paul wrote:It's time to ask the age old question: Is Bulldrek dead?
'It's not dead, 'it's restin'!
_<font color=#5c7898>"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among those that are."
H.L. Mencken
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

Okay, I'm back with a straightforward answer for you, IC. We're not meant to live in a single moment in time. That initial infatuation in a relationship is the same glee with which most of us approach a new toy. We play the fuck out of it (pardon the expression) and then we either discard it entirely or allow it to become part of the backdrop. The stimulation it provided for us fades as we figure out the essential question of "friend, foe or food?"

If we didn't get used to things (relationships included), we might all starve to death poking ham sandwiches with sticks trying to figure out what they were. Or die of exposure standing in awe of thunderstorms. At some point our ancestors had to be able to say "Jolly nice rainbow, but these antelope won't skin themselves."
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I like that. I like that we can self analyze the community and get somewhere with it.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

WillyGilligan wrote:Okay, I'm back with a straightforward answer for you, IC. We're not meant to live in a single moment in time. That initial infatuation in a relationship is the same glee with which most of us approach a new toy. We play the fuck out of it (pardon the expression) and then we either discard it entirely or allow it to become part of the backdrop.
Solution seems to then be keep it new. Get new blood in, invite friends, family or just people you know on the net that seem to be made of awesome and get them to join us here.

If I were fucking the same bird in the same way for 4 or 5 years (pardon the phrase) I'd get bored too.
No money, no honey
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

points to BlackJack

Doing what I can, yo :)

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Johnny the Bull wrote:If I were fucking the same bird in the same way for 4 or 5 years (pardon the phrase) I'd get bored too.
Totally pardoned. Of course, that's largely because the first image that came to my head was "An American Pie Thanksgiving" or some other act of 'fowl' play. (Bwa ha ha! I crack myself up. ahem.)
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

You really don't want to know how we got the stuffing in the bird. ;)
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Don't tell me you used Caz's 9 foot detachable cock...
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

Johnny the Bull wrote:
Solution seems to then be keep it new. Get new blood in, invite friends, family or just people you know on the net that seem to be made of awesome and get them to join us here.
I've already gotten one of my two new gamers to get interested in the CLUE files over at Dumpshock; it's a short step from there.

How do you all sell Bulldrek? What can you say?
_
<b>Thorn said:</b> Patience really does rock!!
<b>CykoSpin said:</b> Every time I see Patience (that is, a post by Patience), I think of the Iron Maiden song "Can I Play With Madness". I don't really know why, though; for whatever reason, I just do.
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Angel »

Patience wrote:How do you all sell Bulldrek? What can you say?
It's cheap, it's easy!
Green-eyed kitten
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Angel wrote:
Patience wrote:How do you all sell Bulldrek? What can you say?
It's cheap, it's easy!
As are the people on it. :D
No money, no honey
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

I dissent.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

*Passes Teja a beer* Get drinking then. :)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.