America's Primary Language

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

America's Primary Language

Post by DV8 »

So I picked up this tidbit of information, that I can't seem to get confirmed, which probably means it's nonsense. So I'm here to present it to you guys, perhaps someone can confirm or disconfirm it; I heard that way back when America was only kneehigh to a grasshopper it had to hold a vote over which language was going to be the primary language. Obviously English won. Now comes the thing which made me remember this, because aparently the runner up was Dutch, and not only that, but English won out by only one vote.

It seems a little like too much of a coincidence, but I got curious nontheless. Does anyone know more about this?
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

No clue, but now I have an urge to watch Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

English was fairly common in the more metropolitan parts of most of the colonies.
German was a /very/ common tongue, from the large number of Dutch and German settlers...don't forget, New York and certain other colonies were founded by the Dutch first and taken over by the English later.
French was a great diplomatic language, but had fewer native speakers in the Americas.
Last edited by Ancient History on Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Dennis - It wasn't Dutch, it was German. English, you are correct, did beat it out by one vote, though. I looked for an article, because I had remembered hearing about this, too. There's not much in print, but I did find this.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Makes you wonder how America might have entered the World Wars if German was the primary language.
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

Daki wrote:Makes you wonder how America might have entered the World Wars if German was the primary language.
Do you think that the cultural influences of Germania would have caused more sympathy for Germany and Austria during the World Wars? Maybe like how America has historically been close to other English speaking countries since it's maturing into a nation?

Prehaps another question would be, if America had chosen German to be it's primary language at it's birth, would it have had any significant impact on other German speaking countries? And if so, do you think the World Wars would have occured in the manner which they did? Maybe American culture (thought being German speaking) might have tempered German aggression in WWI and racism before and during WWII. Interesting idea.
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Doubtful. From what I remember, Wilhelm was tired of being boxed in and continually being in third place behind Britain and France. He wanted his place in the sun as it were, both militarily and colonially. Willy didn't have to answer to anyone - that's the nice thing about being royalty - with only Bismarck being a possible mitigating influence and he agreed with it.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

English, you are correct, did beat it out by one vote, though.
Actually, according to Snopes he's wrong.

I checked snopes because the idea that we had ever voted on an official language struck me as odd, since the US doesn't have an official language. The reason we do everything in english probably has something to do with the founding fathers being English, and we being a former english colony.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Angel there was some pretty large pro German movemtns in the early years of the European only war. I'll find some stuff tommorrow on it, but needless to say once the US entered the war proper, Germman (And pretty much all immmigrant groups) bent over backwards to show how patriotic they were.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Hells, we had folks in congress talking about how really great Hitler was when it came to implementation of eugenics, which was quite popular at the time.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Wait... you mean Hitler isn't great?!
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

MooCow wrote:Wait... you mean Hitler isn't great?!
I'm shocked as well. News to me.
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

America's true primary language is gibberish. Trust me on this one.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Johnny the Bull wrote:
MooCow wrote:Wait... you mean Hitler isn't great?!
I'm shocked as well. News to me.
I know. I knew that we had the kill shedloads of the buggers and bomb their country to rubble over some whole Did you just spill my pint?/Oi! Are you looking at my bird? that happened in a pub one time, but didn't realise he was evil. :/
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Artemis Frog
Tasty Human

Post by Artemis Frog »

Thank you, Moo. I was going to post the Snopes reference as well.

The US has no official language, and the referred to German-language vote was about whether or not Congress should also provide German translations of stuff... in addition to the English which was already standard.
--
I wish I had a cool sig like everyone else.
*sigh*
BloodHound
Bulldrekker

Post by BloodHound »

if they did that, then they would also have to provide for the mass of Spanish speakers we currently have also, most notably in the Sourthern United States, S Cali all the way over to Florida.
------------------------------------------------------------------
If its one thing I learned from Ghostbusters, its that we never cross the streams.
WillyGilligan
Wuffle Trainer

Post by WillyGilligan »

Except that the vote happened before we had a huge spanish-speaking population. Way before.
Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become critics. They also misapply overly niggling inerpretations of Logical Fallacies in place of arguing anything at all.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Damn it. I can find a lot on the good will Americans initially had on Hitler, but not on the stuff I want.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Serious Paul wrote:Damn it. I can find a lot on the good will Americans initially had on Hitler, but not on the stuff I want.
Oh yeah. IIRC there was a Senator or Congressman Kennedy that was leading the isolationist cause during the early years of WW2 so when Churchill and Roosevelt were getting together to try and cook the books they had to work around him and his considerable following.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

Serious Paul wrote:Damn it. I can find a lot on the good will Americans initially had on Hitler, but not on the stuff I want.
Photos of the Marine and Stormtrooper's kegger in July 1938?
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
mrmooky
Wuffle Student

Post by mrmooky »

Yeah, the good will is worth nothing, given that even Churchill started off with a favorable opinion of the Nazis.
Johnny the Bull wrote:Photos of the Marine and Stormtrooper's kegger in July 1938?
I'm sure you could find photos from July 1945...
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

Actually, Dennis is right. It was Dutch and it was only one vote. Coincidentaly, I read the same thing just the other day. I also read a really interesting article about it on the plane ride over from Denmark. Damn, where did I read that about the Dutch?

edit: maybe I read the same wrong thing that you did...cause I sure as hell can't find it anywhere now...
Last edited by Liniah on Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

No, it's not, as Moo pointed out above.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Actually, Dennis is right.
Dennis can't be right. The US has no official language, never has, and hopefully never will. English is probably the primary language because we were an english colony, so we were used to doing all our governance in english.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Hey, thanks for clearing that up, guys. As you were.
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Re: America's Primary Language

Post by Anguirel »

DV8 wrote:because aparently the runner up was Dutch
I'd like to note that the Pennsylvania Dutch are actually the Pennsylvania Deutsch, but Americans are stupid and don't realize that Germany isn't called Germany in German. Nor that German is not called German in German. They know German and Dutch, not Deutsch and Dutch. Thus it's very easy for a former legend regarding Deutsch to have been mis-copied to Dutch by some well-meaning but wholly ignorant clerk who thought the original was a typographical error as opposed to proper spelling in the native language referenced.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

I don't know if it's necessarily ignorance, rather than just language differentials. Much of the rest of the world does not refer to America as America, the United States as the United States, or English as English. Where did Japan come out of Nippon? Two very different words. Most of the countries, nationalities, and languages are all known by different things around the world. I wouldn't call it ignorance, I'd call it preference.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

MissTeja wrote:I wouldn't call it ignorance, I'd call it preference.
It becomes ignorance if Deutsch is converted into Dutch instead of German. Which consistently happened in that time frame and was incorrect.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.