SETI: Mysterious Signal proof of ETL?

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Serious Paul
Devil

SETI: Mysterious Signal proof of ETL?

Post by Serious Paul »

The link
Could Space Signal Be Alien Contact? - Magazine
Thu 2 September, 2004 11:50

LONDON (Reuters) - An unexplained radio signal from deep space could -- just might be -- contact from an alien civilization, New Scientist magazine reported on Thursday.

The signal, coming from a point between the Pisces and Aries constellations, has been picked up three times by a telescope in Puerto Rico.

New Scientist said the signal could be generated by a previously unknown astronomical phenomenon or even be a by-product from the telescope itself.

But the mystery beam has excited astronomers across the world.

"If they can see it four, five or six times it really begins to get exciting," Jocelyn Bell Burnell of the University of Bath in western England told the magazine.

It was broadcast on the main frequency at which the universe's most common element, hydrogen, absorbs and emits energy, and which astronomers say is the most likely means by which aliens would advertise their presence.

The potentially extraterrestrial signals were picked up through the SETI@home project, which uses programs running as screensavers on millions of personal computers worldwide to sift through the huge amount of data picked up by the telescope.
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

I think it's very possible that it could be extra-terrestrial life. Although if it is, odds are that the civilization that sent it is either extinct, or much more advanced as when they sent it. Unless, of course, they are very close, relatively speaking.

On the other hand, at this point, odds are just as good that they're getting a feedback from the telescope itself (referred to as "artifact" signal) or that it's some previously unknown natural phenomemon.

I hope it is extra-terrestrial life. It'd be cool to know we're no the only ones out here.
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I agree. I thought this was just cool. I would have thought it would have piqued a few more peoples intrest here-I am really surprised I posted it first. (That I know of.)
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

I read about it just before going to bed last night, pretty freaking cool stuff heh?

The only problem I have about the whole article is that instead of giving a bit more detail in the location of the occurance, the author decided to describe it's location using astrological constellations. Yeah, I know... but it would have nicer to have read a name of a nearby star or something along those lines. I know... it's stupid.

Imagine for a moment that in a few years they eliminate nearly all other possiblities, and the one of the remaining choices is that it indeed is a signal of sorts from an intelligent lifeform. What do you think something like that would do to Humanity? What effects would it have on our civilization? Do you think there might be people who would take offense to such a discovery? Would it benefit Mankind, or cause further problems?
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by crone »

Go SETI@home! Anyone here a part of that?
Terror, like charity, begins at home.
Saiga
Tasty Human

Post by Saiga »

crone wrote:Go SETI@home! Anyone here a part of that?
Was for a while some years ago, then I changed to Distributed.net, and now my computer is enjoying its retirement from such things.

Btw. was SETI@home part of this 'discovery' or was it just an association?
"Corruptio optimi pessima"
crone
Bulldrek Junkie

Re: SETI: Mysterious Signal proof of ETL?

Post by crone »

'twas in the article.
Terror, like charity, begins at home.
Angel
Bulldrek Pimp
Location: Further from Tubuai Island than any other Bulldrekker, except for maybe Toryu.

Post by Angel »

I had the SETI@HOME thingie installed on my computer at work, but my last day there was tuesday, but if this indeed an alien signal I'll make sure to claim part of the credit for finding it!
- member since Sept 13th, 2000
Green-eyed kitten
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

A teacher of mine used to have a poster up that pretty much sums up my feelings on SETI. "There are two possibilities in this universe - Either we are alone, or we are not. Bother ideas are staggering."
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Buzzed
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Buzzed »

Noah's Ark is a space ship. We are all aliens. Nobody could find Noah's Ark because it autopiloted back to the planet that was flooded. The signal is emitting from Noah's Ark, finally returning from the heavens, with Jesus Christ on board.

The end is near!
_
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

ET PHONE HOME ...

Used to run SETI at work, but I don't think it survived the last system updates.
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

I've had SETI running for a long time. Never got a wow signal though. *grumble*
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
Johnny the Bull
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Johnny the Bull »

Looks like its probably not ET phoning here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3621608.stm
--------------------------------------------
No money, no honey
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

Wonder how long before someone says that is a conspiracy to cover up actual alien communication ...
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

That is a conspiracy to cover up actual alien communication ...
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
lorg
Wuffle Master

Post by lorg »

There is was ... well it lasted for a few hours.
Crazy Elf
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Crazy Elf »

Cool, Aliens! This means that they can finally build Mecha Godzilla out of space titanium to crush Neo-Tokyo.

Progress.