Kazaa's Hidden Secrets (What do YOU think?)

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Kazaa's Hidden Secrets (What do YOU think?)

Post by EvanMoore »

Kazaa's Hidden Secrets

What do you think of this and the methodology used to bring it to your PC?

Evan
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[blur]It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --Andre Gide[/blur]
Spiral
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Spiral »

It's no different than a virus, or a hacker attacking your box.
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

Spiral wrote: It's no different than a virus, or a hacker attacking your box.
Well, no.

"However, people who accept "terms of service" already distributed with Brilliant's and Kazaa's software are already agreeing to let their computers be used without any payment at all.

"You hereby grant (Brilliant) the right to access and use the unused computing power and storage space on your computer/s and/or Internet access or bandwidth for the aggregation of content and use in distributed computing," the terms of service read. "The user acknowledges and authorizes this use without the right of compensation."

Anybody who declines this provision is not able to install the Kazaa file-swapping software. Brilliant's software can be disabled or removed after installation without affecting Kazaa's performance, however."

[And while we're at it, can we please use the term 'cracker' to refer to someone gaining illicit access to a computer or network, and 'hacker' to refer to a programmer of some degree? It's much more correct in according with computing history]
Kwyndig
Grand Marshall of the Imperium
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

Adam wrote: [And while we're at it, can we please use the term 'cracker' to refer to someone gaining illicit access to a computer or network, and 'hacker' to refer to a programmer of some degree? It's much more correct in according with computing history]
Yep, yes it is.

Anyway, there is very little difference between this and any other P2P network. Anytime you use one of these file sharing services, you're already sacrificing a little runtime and bandwidth for connectivity, not to mention the files you actually upload or download. The only real difference is that they're making this mandatory and using a lot more of your free runtime.

Although you can uninstall it, I'll bet that, since this is Sharman Networks we're talking about here, they'll simply send it out to you again the next time you connect to their stack.
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Millions of people who don't read EULAs don't realize that CompuServe, soon after the success of distributed.net, added a clause into the EULA that stated, basically, that all of your bandwidth, processor power, and disk space belonged to them, and they could do whatever they wanted with it.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Compuserve must die

Post by Cazmonster »

ARGH! More Evil! :mad

Cazmonster really must go over to BD first and get all of his aggression out before coming to SST. Mostly because my responses to the last three or four SST's have involved violence against someone.

I'd love to win the lottery, buy Compuserve and make them take the clause out.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

...and this is why you shouldn't use KazAa, it bites the everlasting ass. It's chock-full of spyware, advertisement, and now aparently a distributed networking installment.

I like distributed networks, it makes sense. I like Seti over Distributed, and I like the cancer thing over Seti. But these are all voluntary, and these all have a purpose, KazAa's doesn't make much sense to me.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

We should, of course, keep in mind that the Kazaa/Brilliant distnet app appears to be something they intend to ask for your permission to use. In other words, "Yeah, we put it on your computer, and we asked you if you wanted it there, but since we didn't mention what we'd be doing with it, it'd be a PR nightmare if we just started stealing clock cycles."

I think it's a great idea, and if they'd do it without impacting my own performance - in other words, steal only cycles I'm not using, like /when I'm not there/ I think it'd be great. I don't hold out a whole lot of hope for that, though?

Hey, anyone remember Mojo? What ever happened to those guys?
Lektrogirl
Bulldrekker

Post by Lektrogirl »

...and this is why you shouldn't use KazAa, it bites the everlasting ass. It's chock-full of spyware, advertisement, and now aparently a distributed networking installment.
http://www.kazaalite.tk/

It's just like the old Morpheus, but without any of the spyware or advertisements.

*note to possible users* If you're going to use this program make sure you read about the Supertrick thingie.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Nifty. Thanks, Lektro.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Lektrogirl wrote:
...aparently...
Is it "apparently" or "aparently?"
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

DV8