Prozac linked to cancer? Bulldrek in immediate danger!

In the SST forum, users are free to discuss philosophy, music, art, religion, sock colour, whatever. It's a haven from the madness of Bulldrek; alternately intellectual and mundane, this is where the controversy takes place.
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Prozac linked to cancer? Bulldrek in immediate danger!

Post by Adam »

Thought this was kind of interesting - http://news.independent.co.uk/world/sci ... ory=278505

I'm too sleepy to say much about it, but I thought that some other people may have some stuff to say about this.
Silent Sniper
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Silent Sniper »

Everything is linked to cancer nowadays.
_
The Duke of Slack
Wielder of the Axe of Mass Destruction
Keeper of the Food Loaf

Quote of the random period of time:
Beware, naughty children, for the bells herald Santa's dark harvest of souls...
Daki
No-Life Loser

It's in the air

Post by Daki »

I have to try and dig up a humor piece done about 2 years ago where the author managed to link everything to cancer in some way, even things as simple as walking and breathing.
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

Hey, breathing is bad for you, corrodes the lungs...besides, if we're all related by seven degrees to Kevin Bacon, then we're all going to get cancer someday.
Chocolate sauce on a buttery nipple. *Bliss*
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Did you hear? Turning on lamps is linked to cancer! Drinking Cola Cola will help you digest that burger. Playing the Sims is linked to ellipsey. Playing with stuffed animals is also linked to cancer.

Geeeeeeeeeee!

Basically, I just "fuck it" and enjoy my life.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Well, isn't your body pretty terrible at killing off cancer cells in the first place? I mean, that's why it's cancer.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Does anyone have any links to information on the first known cases of cancer and why it seems to have just appeared in the 20th century?
DrunkenMaster
Bulldrekker

Post by DrunkenMaster »

Good question Daki, that is something I've been interested in knowing as well.

Off the top of my head I'd say it is because people are living longer and we needed something to kill us off in our old age.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

I would be more inclined to say that it was only after the major industrialization in countries like the US and Europe that cancer started to appear.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

I would be more inclined to say that it was only after the major industrialization in countries like the US and Europe that cancer started to appear.
Or started to be diagnosed.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

Well, isn't your body pretty terrible at killing off cancer cells in the first place? I mean, that's why it's cancer.
No, actually your body's pretty good at killing off cancer cells, which is why it's usually not cancer.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Well, I'd guess the main reason cancer has seemed to become so prevalent in the past century or so is because suddenly people are living long enough not to get killed off by other things first. I mean, when people regularly died of pneumonia, they weren't around long enough to develop lung cancer all that often.
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
Nightsky
Squire of the Crimson Assfro
Location: metaplane of booze, illect substances, and nekkid women

Post by Nightsky »

Cancer is pretty much just a fluke in the cell. bad genes tell the cells to keep growing. I guess it's a cell's way of showing age. All the other, healthy cells around it are like olympic athletes. Then there's this one cell that's the drunk, crackpot, toothless street bitch wondering around.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

One of Australia's most effective breast-cancer awareness campaigns featured a painting by (I think) Rembrandt, featuring a semi-nude woman (it may have been Bathsheba at her Bath but I really can't remember.

The gist of the campaign was along the lines of 'this was a beautiful woman, but see the <various marks> Rembrandt represented so faithfully? They couldn't have known that this is one of the first visible signs of breast cancer. Go get checked' etc. Basically, without realising it, Rembrandt had accurately painted the tumourous breast of his model (his lover?). Cancer's been around a long time.
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

I don´t really understand why, but I find that very disturbing. Looking at that picture made my skin crawl. I suppose that reaction is why the campaign was so effective.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.